how do I construct a drop in trimmer table ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
Searched youtube till my eyes bleed :cry:

I have ordered a Makita RT0700c trimmer which will hopefully arrive this weekend.
How would I attach this trimmer to a drop-in board for a router table I will be building? is there a special adapter plate I'll need ? The base of the trimmer looks very small ,about 70mm dia ? do I just attach the trimmer base directly to a board ? or is there a better method using a larger diameter plate that would make the trimmer more rigid .

EDIT : would you flippin believe it !? I spotted this seconds after posting :roll:
https://youtu.be/KkcSjXJeCR8

If anyone is using this or a similar trimmer I'd still greatly appreciate any tips on fixing and using

thats exactly what i was looking for thank you. :D
I've trawled youtube for days looking for the perfect solution without success and last night I ordered a sheet of 8mm clear acrylic . I considered 150x150mm but in the end ordered 200mm x200mm . Glad I did after watching this video.

Funnily enough at the same time I nearly ordered 40mm x 40mm length of extruded aluminium to use as a fence support . I notice that he was using exactly the same extrusion in the vid.
Well spotted thanks for posting. I'll get on and start constructing my table tomorrow .

well I coddled somehing together using some chipboard which will probably do the job. pretty it ain't :lol:
I bought a 200mm x200mm x8mm sheet of clear perspex off ebay and I'm just waiting for the extended 15mm screws to fit the trimmer.

I bought a fantastic trimmer for £35.00 its a Katsu and they are obviously made my the same Company that manufacture the Makita RT0700 trimmer. It uses the same motor, body, base and other parts and is identical in all respects except the plastic cap and speed control.
if you are considering buying the RT0700 have a look at the Katsu you'll not be dissapointed . It uses all the same accessories as the Makita .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LVVJ99U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Attachments

• router table.JPG
    router table.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 1,503
Spooky :twisted: . I've had the same Katsu trimmer for a good few months, it's done a few miles now and been faultless up to now. Mine came with a free set of bathroom scales......go figure? :roll: for the same money. It's next home is in a small cnc machine I've just built to replace the dremel in it atm.

Nigel

its amazing for the price. Can'tsee how they can do it.
If i could afford it I'd buy another so I can have one free and the other permenantly in the table
CNC milling eh :eek: mmmm now theres a thought . i wonder if you could fit a metal cutter bit to drill and cut aluminium :wink:

johnny said:
if you are considering buying the RT0700 have a look at the Katsu you'll not be dissapointed . It uses all the same accessories as the Makita

and has a Makita warrantee.

Makita service dept say no way does it have a Makita warranty, they say that statement is as bent as the rip-off copy machine. I'm quite happy with mine though, cheap enough to replace if any problems.

I have the katsu trimmer, on the whole its very good and the dust extraction isnt bad. I have had a few occasions when it has slipped down though. The catch seems a bit flimsy.

yes thats definitely the bit that lets these trimmers down .
it would be really good to have a micro adjuster to fine adjust depth . I have bought a Trend bit depth guage which should help adjust the bit depth more accurately than using a steel rule or other straight edge.
i've not compared the base of the Katsu with a Makita Rt0700 base . Perhaps it might be worth investing in a better base

Have you tried adjusting the nyloc nut on the main bolt a little tighter to fine tune the snap catch ? :wink:

Latest posts

Back