How can i remove grease stains?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebeetle

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently made a coffee table from oak and finished it with beeswax.
My lodger has kindly decided to put some thing on it covered in grease or oil or something and has left a couple of horrible greasy stains on it. :evil:

Please can anybody suggest how i can remove the stains without having to sand 1/4" off the top?

Thanks in advance

I'd just use some white spirits, it will dissolve the beeswax to a degree but that's OK, just apply a bit more.

Depending how handy you are with a cabinet scraper, I'd use that first.

Try and get some dry cleaning fluid if you know anyone in the trade or a product called dab-it-off. I think there is also something called dry clean made by Goddards.

Good Luck

Bob

Brown Paper and an electric Iron.

Gently run the hot iron over the brown paper over the grease mark, reposition the paper often. (it should absorb the grease)

Failing that .....Place the brown paper over the table top and then hit the lodger over the head with the Iron. 8)

The stuff 9fingers is referring to is I believe called carbon tetrafluoride..
Wear a mask if you use it.
It used to be available at dry cleaners... Maybe not now.

Streepips":2dsobvh6 said:
The stuff 9fingers is referring to is I believe called carbon tetrafluoride..
Wear a mask if you use it.
It used to be available at dry cleaners... Maybe not now.

I was told that breathing the fumes can cause kidney problems

I think you will find that these cleaning fluids are considerably safer now.

Carbon Tet has not be used for years. One of the dry cleaning fluids is called perklone AFAIK.

Sensible precautions of using in a well ventilated area etc would be a good idea.

Bob

Back