How best to purchase equipment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

I will be setting up a small work over the next few months and wanted advice on how best to purchase equipment.

From people’s experience if you buy all the equipment from one supplier, are you more likely to get a discount or is it better shopping around and buying each piece from the cheapest supplier?

I rang one of the bigger supplies and the sales person told me that the do not give discounts.

Thanks in advance.

Suggs

If you expect service (as you need to if it's a business) then it may well be worth paying a slight premium to ensure that you get prompt repairs, warranty, etc when you eventually have problems. I've been told of one power tool dealer who now refuses to do warranty work on machines he hasn't sold on the grounds that it is done more or less at cost - and who can blame him. When you are buying stuff you may be able to get a slightly better deal by bundling your requirements together and asking for a quote, but from what I hear the retail power tool sales outfits (i.e. those with premises) are hardly making a killing, so I wouldn't hold out any hope of getting much more than 5% to be frank. What does tend to annoy dealers is people who come in, get a free demo, then go off and buy at the lowest price on the net. I can see why as in effect that "customer" is stealing the retailer's time - too many people like that and the retailer ceases trading. Over the years I've found it better to find a few good suppliers and stick with them. Customer loyalty is often rewarded with special offers, loan tools if yours is out of commission, etc.

The decision is really yours - do you want cheap prices and nil or poor backup at the lowest price or would you rather pay a little more for customer service and hopefully good advice?

Scrit

Hi suggs welcome to the forum.

I notice your in Leeds. You want to get yourself doen to DBKeighley on Stanningley Road in Pudsey. The guy who runs the shop (Dave) is a very knowledgable and friendley guy. They have a broad range of tools from hobby to industrial. He will help you choose the tools you require without trying to sell you more expensive stuff, and if you ask him nicely he may give you a discount if you are buying a few.

Hope this helps.

I'll go with what Scrit says on this.

Looking at it from another angle is are you looking for hobby, light trade, or ind machines ?. Do you want to pick up the phone and get someone round to repair the machines if & when they break down, or looking to have to take the machine back or have it collected? or fix it yourself?.

If you are purchasing for commercial use ask them how many engineers they have and what their response time is or better still ask on the forum.
I made the mistake of not asking when I bought all of my machines from one company and boy are they slooooooooooooow, in fact I gave up on one problem with a sliding table arm that has now been the same for over two years, so I guess when it comes to replacing my machines,not far off, it won't be with that company.

Back