How bad is this idea? - Homemade blockboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a cheap way of getting a solid piece of wood for a table top, 2400mm x 1100mm. It's for a flip-over poker table (dining surface one side, poker surface the other).

It's for me and doesn't have to be perfect finish, but then I don't want it looking too gash. The thicker the better, say 30mm +.

So I was wondering if I could just get some 47x100x2400 kiln dried softwood from the DIY store and glue it together.

what do you think?

I don't have a router table, so I can't easily create tongue and grooves. I could fix all the strips to a backing piece of ply or MDF.

How about making a torsion box from the softwood and veneered MDF on the dining side and plain mdf with green baize on the reverse?
It would be lighter to flip over.

Bob

Welcome to the forum jimbowley, yes it's possible to make a table in this way but it will be extremely heavy. The bench in my workshop build, Page 6 near the bottom, is 2400 x 600mm wide and that was heavy. You need to dowel or biscuit it together as wood from the sheds is notoriously non-straight.

Like Bob says, veneeered mdf is probably the way to go. Plus bear in mind that your average piece of softwood from a DIY shed is about as straight as a politician

I'm in Bristol.

I just spotted shultzy's bench, that's a really nice chunk of wood.

I like fat rounded edges, so veneer won't really do. As to weight, as long as 2 people can turn it over that's ok.

It sounds like straightness is the problem. I assumed the wood I spotted would be straight, but now I've spotted the planed stuff which is more expensive.

Is there a way to start with a 18mm plywood oval, and then build up a thick edge using bendy strips of wood?

Jim,
Welcome to the forum. Yes you can start with an oval and edge it with bendy ply and veneer. 9fingers (Bob)'s idea of a torsion box is the best way to do it if you want it thick, say 50mm or more.

A torsion box is constructed from thin skins over a framework. You can use wood, MDF or a combination of the two. You do need to assemble it on a flat surface which can be sawhorses or similar carrying a sheet of MDF and all aligned carefully. This method of construction results in a very strong lightweight assembly, similar to an aeroplane's wing.

I made a nightstand top around 4 years ago which was around 30mm thick using scraps of softwood which I had got from a skip. ( the timber was ex roof rafters and around 30 years old)
Many of the lenghts most probably did not exceed 200mm in length 25mm width and I have had no problem with twist or orther and no mechanical fittings used, only glue.
So if you can locate some scrap timber, you have nothing to loose but time and glue, plus plenty of elbow grease if you do not have machinery.

Keep the ideas coming.

To restate my requirements. 2400mmx1100mm oval shape. 20mm thick minimum. Preferably thicker than that at the edge. Edge to be rounded over eg 20mm.

Note: there will be a padded rail around the periphery. See picture for a smaller version of the look I'm after.

I've considered 18mm plywood, with double thickness just at the edge. But 100quid for 2 sheets and then the ply structure will be visible on the rounded edge, I'm not sure about.

I'm quite happy with something that looks a bit distressed, so I won't worry about my nephew bashing the surface with his cutlery!

http://vmphoto.photobox.co.uk/my/photo? ... 1799581724

How about the torsion box idea, but using reasoinable sized bit of wood around the edge, that will easily accept the rounded edge.

If you are going to dowel the timber together, you can pick up dowelling jigs from between £10-£20 from machine mart. The only tool required foir that is a drill.

Second hand "brown" furniture can be had quite cheap sometimes. I've seen tables and wardrobes go for £1 at auction. Worth more for the wood.

CWatters":1z0stnb3 said:
Second hand "brown" furniture can be had quite cheap sometimes. I've seen tables and wardrobes go for £1 at auction. Worth more for the wood.

too right - I ve just picked up a solid yew dining set for 50 quid - sadly swimbo wants to use it in the house, but i have hopes of convincing her to let me make a coffee table using the extension piece from the middle (the concept being to make a drop in frame so we could still take the top out and use it to extend the table if her folks come for chrimble etc.

Tonight I visited B&Q and found I could get enough wood for 2400x1050x34 for £50 (using 2400x34x70) which makes it just cheap enough to give it a go. Although it will be quite a bit of work building the jig to clamp it and keep it flat.

Before I go any further, does anyone already offer big blockboard sheets?

I have been considering 2000x950x40 worktop which you can find for £150, but that's a bit borderline on the width.

I've been keeping an eye on the free ads, but you don't get tables this big. The table I pictured earlier has an 8" pedestal and 4 nice padded chairs all for £20.

I myself would not be happy with that B&Q idea for internal furniture, think central heating etc.
If you do I would store it indoors for a couple of months before you did any work on it to see if it is going to remain stable.

You should be able to find 18 to 25mm thick blockboard or plywood in 2440 x 1220 sheets for £40-50. Oak faced for another £10.

Back