"Hot Hot"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Been asked by a friend who runs a indian restruant.
Basicaly he want's 10 serving blocks, as his current ones are made out of MDF. Not a good choice, as hot grills are placed on them.

Thinking of making new ones in two part laminated, solid wood.
This would be easiest I think, because it would save the hassle of routing out recess.

Would anyone make them different, if so how?

And also not 100% sure on wood, I'm thinking of a hardwood, maybe Sapeli.

Anyone think different?

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks all :D

MDF!! hahahah

I think router and jig is going to be the easiest way to get them consistent.

I can see the attraction of two parts. What sort of glue do you intend to use as it is going to have its work cut out hot and then wet probably! Might be a job for epoxy?

I think I would use beech as it is very close grained

hehe, i know, very wise choice, whoever choose that.

I'm thinking over size a template in mdf, and allow the collet to ride it.

not sure how to achive internal round if doing it this way.

Over wise i was going to route out the oval piece in say 20mm, the place it on router table, spin round, then glue it to say a solid 20mm then use a bearer to follow a template of external shape

2 bits of wood, with the grain oppsite when glued to minimise cupping.

Or is that to much hard work?

was thinking maybe expoxy resin, the one that foam up, Grorilla glue is it?

finish maybe like a teak oil.

I think whatever you do, the bottom at least is going to burn. I suspect they put these things in the oven from time to time to keep things warm and that's another risk. It's been a while since I last went to an Indian restaurant and I can't remember how they are made. I suspect there is some sort of ceramic bottom to them. My gut instinct tells me to use solid wood. Quite what finish you use is beyond me. Oil will burn, wax will melt and varnish will self destruct. However you do it, make it repeatable. He'll be back often I suspect.

If it were me I think a bit of metal in the bottom would be the way to go.Then you just wash the outside of spills with a rag(No soaking)you would have to find a bunch of plates to go into the bowl you`ll create.Google"
Well thats how they are served over here hot.

Hi.

How about, instead of metal inserts (which would conduct heat to the wood) use some ceramic ones? Possibly get some of those tiles that are a load of small squares on a mesh backing (cant recall the name :? ), cut them up and fix individual squares into the 'bowl' to hold the dish off?

I assume ceramic dosn't conduct heat as well as metal?

Jussathought.

Bryn :D

pren":3u1l1cii said:
I assume ceramic dosn't conduct heat as well as metal
Depends on the type of ceramic, I used some, many years ago in thick film hybrid prototyping that you had to warm before you could solder a joint on as it conducted heat so well the iron went cold as you applied it. :shock:

Am I correct in thinking these blocks are used to hold the cast iron skillets that the food is still sizzling on as it reaches the table? I don't think they would ever go in the oven, I think just bare wood is the way to go. I would try Oak as when it chars it forms an insulating layer. The food should be in the skillet, not on the wood.

yes I think the ones I have seen are just charred but in a good way. Adds to the authenticity.

to make it eaiser on myself, I'm gonna try and get hold of one of these skillets, to template to.

in two minds whethever to 2 part or 1 solid part???

2 parts is gonna be easier i think, just not proper sure on a heat resistant glue.

Back