Horse chestnut-any use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
Knowing that I am interested in woodwork and recently acquired a lathe, a work colleague has given me three pieces of horse chestnut, each about a metre long and 20-25cm in diameter from a mature tree which he had felled a couple of months ago. I have no idea what to do with it.

My first question is whether this species is any good for anything? My second is any suggestions of what use it might be put to given my experience so far is limited to spinning tops and some chair spindles and tapered tenons?

My initial thought was to try some small bowls, but then started to wonder about attempting to split it for the legs, spindles and crest rail of a staked chair- so any thoughts about steam bending it too?
Thanks in advance
G

GarF":37j0u7y6 said:
My initial thought was to try some small bowls, but then started to wonder about attempting to split it for the legs, spindles and crest rail of a staked chair

It might be okay for turning, but it's rubbish as far as furniture making's concerned. It has very little strength and the surface is prone to being wooly and hard to finish. For chair components in particular you'll need a far stronger timber if you're to sleep well at night. Think in terms of something like Oak, Beech, or Ash.

Back