Hornbeam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
Courtesy of the recent high winds, I got my hands on a bit of this:

dsc09868.jpg

It is a rather large hornbeam, well, large by hornbeam standards. I turned some bits of it and was impressed by the polished finish, rather like boxwood. I see it is used on the continent for plane soles etc, so perhaps it is a good substitute ? Anyone tried it ? The rest of the tree is destined to be planked with one of those saw tables that go on a tractor PTO - perhaps I should try to scrounge some more !

I believe it's Traditionally used for tool handles as it's very hard, so plane soles would make sense

Yes, I have an ece Plane that has a Hornbeam sole. I've used Hornbeam myself, it's hard!

I haven't specifically heard of it being done, but in the process of attempting to design a guitar built entirely of UK grown timber, I had planned of locating some hornbeam for either a neck lamination or fretboard.
As an aside, and for this reason, if you happen to have access to any sawn planks that are quarter sawn and surplus to requirements, I would be happy to exchange for some beer tokens....

Cheers,
Adam

Oh it's been done. Many times, just not on a commercial basis. Oak or Beech is OK for a fretboard. You can cook it in the oven to get it much darker colour. Hornbeam is hard enough, certainly. Just very light in colour.

Hornbeam is excellent for tools. Ulmia use it extensively. You mention using it like boxwood - I have an old Danish workbench with Hornbeam let into the top edges of the vice jaws as reinforcement - just like boxwood on a moulding plane
Matt

Hornbeam is a near match to Hickory. Slightly different, as are all timbers, but the two are comparable.

BugBear

Hornbeam was used extensively for lead bossing tools, these days the cheaper tools are made from beech which is the trade equivalent of a chocolate teapot!

Hornbeam was also used by millwrights for the cogs in machinery.

.. also used as stakes for forming metals in jewellry. Sometimes referred to as ironwood in recognition of its hardness. Not sure how good it would be for handles, where it's tensile strength and elasticity that are important.

I don't know, what has Hornbeam ever done for us. I mean apart from Plane soles, flip clamps, Harp frames, cogs, bossing tools, forming tools, chisel handles and walking sticks.

I should hasten to add (before a queue forms !) that when I say I got a bit of it, that's really what I meant. A log big enough for a bit of turning and a few bits over maybe enough for a few handles, plane parts etc. Not the whole tree ! I may ask nicely and see if I can get some more though.

MIGNAL":dza727x6 said:
I don't know, what has Hornbeam ever done for us. I mean apart from Plane soles, flip clamps, Harp frames, cogs, bossing tools, forming tools, chisel handles and walking sticks.

Dare I say it - Makes good firewood? :shock:

Latest posts

Back