Hong Kong Shopping: Mujingfang

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in Hong Kong on a business trip and had a couple of hours to kill so I got someone to contact the local agent for Mugingfang. They suggested a small shop at 486 Reclamation Street close to Mong Kok MTR station exit A2. (This and other places nearby are mentioned on one of the Aussie sites as the best places to look for tools).

A limited selection of Mujingfang planes but picked a large and small HK style smoothing plane plus a set of 4 small european style planes. All beautifully made. No chance to try any of these until I return to the UK. Sorry no photos but they are shown in the Mujingfang downloadable catalogue.

The same shop had a selection of the other tools from Japan and elsewhere from around the world. I could not resist a couple of Japanese saws and a pair of hand made chinese wood rasps.

Prices were very very reasonable plus good english spoken by a young lady. I shall go back.

Any another good reason to visit HK

Richard

Hi Richard

I was in Hong Kong a few years back and looked up what I think is the same shop, but for a number of reasons it didn't work out getting there. I LOVE Hong Kong.

Fortunately my misses was born in Hong Kong so is always up for a return trip. Just need to get the funds together! Probably slightly cheaper to import a few items than to buy three tickets to Hong Kong!

Maybe if I take a trip over and make a bulk purchase I could fund part of the cost of the ticket.... :wink: :wink:

Let us see some pictures when you get chance (and not just of the stuff you bought) Night market, ladies market, food stalls, whatever you've got. :D

Hi Richard

I too have been there recently, having tracked the shop down from the same Aussie source as you. I came back with a few wooden planes and a spokeshave. Not sure that I couldn`t have got them from Rutlands for much the same price, but then I don`t think Rutlands do trips to Hong Kong :lol:

Ian

B*****

Was there last year for a few days and didn't know about that. we used that station as well :roll:

Made a note of it now as we're going back to OZ and NZ next November and will probably stay in HK and Singapore en route :)

I LOVE Hong Kong - got lost a few times though - need to take a sat nav I think

cheers

Bob

Any chance to buy those planes somewhere else than HK or rutlands? In the catalogue they have much bigger range of planes than rutlands has (I was interested in longer ones) - I am not planning a visit to Hong Kong in near future but I would love to lay my hands on Mujingfangs.
There was a guy on Evil Bay a while ago selling them but it seems he is no longer selling them...
Any more ideas?

Hi

The HK agent has a US company that sells under the name Woodwell which seems to be a major outlet but that is not the UK.

Later the same day I was in Wanchai near the Southern Playground next to the IT Mall and happened on a street with tool shops. In one, they had other Mujingfang planes including a very long rebate plane and a wooden version of the Record 50.

I think if you walk the streets in areas where there are building suppliers there will also be small tool shops and you will find a broader selection. These areas are all over HK. The two shops each had a small selection

However, I did ask the shop in Reclamation Street to call the Mujingfang agent to check on some items and they said they were out-of-stock and so I guess the supply chain from China is a bit hit and miss given that the Shenzhen factory is a community of tool makers.

The prices were somewhat less than Rutlands but you would have spend a lot to justify the trip. It is quite possible that prices would be less across the border in Shenzhen where the factory is based.

I will certainly have another look around on my next trip.

Richard

Latest posts

Back