homebar, in two pieces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe90

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have to make a homebar.... and I'm a little lost as regards the design.

It is to have a 'dogleg' so it will be four to five foot in one direction and about 3 to 3.5 foot in the shorter direction. So it seems it will have to be made in two parts.

I was thinking of making a base and then making two cabinets to stand on the base... and then the bartop would have to be attached afterwards in two pieces. How should I join the bartops into a seamless piece??? Should I use a kitchen worktop jig for this? or is there an easier way?

My other alternative is not to make a base at all, just make two cabinets which can be joined into a single larger bar, these would be finished at ground level with an overlaid plinth... both base cabinets would just butt up against each other... I'm not too sure about this.

Basic picture ... totally unfinished but it shows the appearance I'm after... (no bartop shown)

homebar.jpg

I'd like to use a framed approach for the cabinet with raised panels... this should look ok. The reason I'm considering a seperate base is so that it will protrude out by a couple of inches.

So does anyone have any tips on making a bar.... :oops: I know this is a bit vague but I'm hoping someone will provide a revelation (for me) in a short sentence or two...

Cheers
Joe

Believe it or not, I've actually made one of these.

I was in the air force at the time and found myself in charge of a bar room which didn't have a bar. So I took three pallets, tipped them on their edges and bolted them together with one at right angles, Then I got some guys to help me break up a fourth pallet which we nailed on top of the base to make the counter. It was the start of some memorable social events.

And if you find this reminiscence even remotely helpful, you're beyond redemption!

Gill

I would make a plint with say 38x63 CLS than can be packed level and the cabinets stood on top of that, if you make it the same overall size as the cabs the "skirting" can be fixed at the end and scribed to the floor.

If you are using solid wood then just a but joint will do with dry biscuits and kitchen WT bolts to hold it all together.

Did you seen thisproject of mine?

Jason

Hi Joe

Joe90":ccvayd5y said:
I was thinking of making a base and then making two cabinets to stand on the base... and then the bartop would have to be attached afterwards in two pieces.
OK, but your structure looks more like it would need to be delivered in two parts and then assembled on site. What about having a base onto which H-section uprights fit and the panels then slide in just like a garden fence? Providing there's a couple of braces beneath the top it should be good and rigid. Also much easier to transport and get up and down stairs.s

How should I join the bartops into a seamless piece??? Should I use a kitchen worktop jig for this? or is there an easier way?
If your top is something like square edged solid wood kitchen worktop then just butt joint together and use biscuits or plywood loose tongues for positioning the joint and kitchen dog-bone connectors to pull up the plot. Hold down onto the top rails with wooden buttons.

My other alternative is not to make a base at all, just make two cabinets which can be joined into a single larger bar, these would be finished at ground level with an overlaid plinth... both base cabinets would just butt up against each other... I'm not too sure about this.
The problem there is that the structure will have blind corners - not ideal for storage. And if you deliver sans end the partial-cabs are potentially weak unless extra bracings are added

Scrit

Or, and I'm assuming it's for a client, a granite or marble bar top.
You wouldn't have to finish it, or make it so less time on the job, it would be cut to shape, a lot easier for the client to keep clean and not as expensive as you might think once you deduct the cost of any other top.

But it will be heavy.

Dom

Back