Home made Jigs Thread?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it might be a good idea for us to add pics of our homemade jigs so we can all see what each other have come up with?

I for one love to find new jigs to make life easier, so go on add your jigs here...

Explanations on more unusual ones might help!... :wink:

One to get it started, this I use to cut small strips etc. from a board as I have little room to the left of my saw.

You first measure from the blade to the round section on the jig to get the initial measurement then make your first cut then all you do is move the saw guide pushing the board over untill it just touches the jig again, simple and works well...

STA70562Large.jpg

Not sure wether this counts as a jig :)

I don't have enough space for a table saw or even for a chop saw with a good table. I have only a good portable saw and have to improvise the rest.

A little modern variation of the miter box:

sirkkeliohjuri.jpg

You can screw a stopper to the planks under the box to cut to proper lengths. And 45 degrees as well, if needed. Admittably a bit slow, but gives you the same results as a proper chop saw.

The box stores away easily and it can either be used as it is on the bench (just ensuring 90 deg cuts) or screwed on to a pair of planks with an added stopper.

Pekka

Here's one for enlarging holes, I can't claim any credit though all credits are due to Weekly tips from the editors of Woodsmith, ShopNotes, and Workbench.

Use a Simple Guide to Enlarge a Lockset Hole or any hole

When I need to enlarge a hole in a door for a new lockset (say, from 21/8″ to 23/8″), I use a shop-made guide and a standard hole saw.

The guide is a scrap piece of ½″ plywood with a hole that’s sized to accommodate the lockset. Use the paper template that comes with the lockset to locate the hole in the guide (Guide Layout Detail).

Drawing and Guide Layout Detail

422390412_3e3ae7b2e2.jpg

After cutting the hole with a hole saw, align the guide on the door. (I attach scrap blocks to the guide to register it flush with the edge.) Now clamp the guide in place, and use the same hole saw to enlarge the opening in the door. The guide keeps the hole saw straight, ensuring an accurate cut.

Good woodworking,

Wyatt Myers
Online Editor, Workbench

Heres a couple of mine, although the first one I cant take credit for as I found it on the internet. Very useful though. It is a dado jig for the router and once made the shelf can be fitted between the rails to the correct width and then placed on the side panel. Butt the router up to the left side nd cut up the panel and then butt up to the left side and rout down, the shelf will be a perfect fit.

Make each side panel with extra long pieces of 1/4" ply and then trim off the excess witrh the router and bit to be used, it is then ready to use. :wink:

As I have been making a lot of gates recently I made this little jig to cut the rebates for the T&G V panels. Fitted onto the base of the router and with a half inch bit in it will cut the rebates while the block below it runs on the uncut timber below following the open panel of the frames and stiles. It is a boon when cutting rebates in arched top gates.
rebatecuttervj5.jpg

The rounded end of the wooden block should just clear the cutting bit below the base plate allowing the cutter to still clear chips. :wink:

Just remebered this one I made for cuting small circles wih the router. Below the base plate attached to the threaded piece is a small pin which the jig rotates on.

Here's one I made for the slot on the table saw, jig fixes to the protractor with a couple of short bolts. Its for cutting a slot in a picture frame for reinforcing a mitred joint. I used to cut the slot by hand a use a piece of veneer but that's a genuine pita 'cos the veneer is never the same thickness as the saw kerf. Now I just run the corners through the jig and insert one or two thick pieces of a contrasting timber which is much easier and makes for a better and stronger joint - Rob

s1.jpg

A really simple one for when I'm cutting thin strips I find that if the blade is close to the guide there can be a problem pushing the wood past the blade so this solves this and stops any chance of binding...

STA70563Large.jpg

Let's not forget Niki's excellent contrib's. I hope he won't mind me posting the links here?

Different way of cutting 45* frame

Cross-cut sled, different way to make it.

Shop vac modifications

Drill Stand modification

Drill press table improvement

Screw cramps

Sanding blocks

Hold down clamps

For amateurs only

Cheap "Grip-it" clamp repair and improvement

Saw blade and router bit height guage

Cutting dado with hand router

Hand router bit height setting aid

Caliper (micrometer) modification

Another Shop-vac

Clean paint tray

Wild router table

Foam brushes

Doweling with router table

Drilling shelf support holes

Magnifying glasses

Panel glue-up aids

Jointing with router

Doweling jig part 1

Doweling jig part 2

Feather roller for table saw

Push blocks

Feather roller - version II, prototype.

Straight edge on table saw

Feather roller, final version

TS fence memory

Dust free sanding

Amateur's working methods

Hold down roller for TS

Panel glue-up, overcoming cupping boards problem

Cutting strips on TS

CS cutting table

Saw blade cleaning with STP

ROS DC improvement

Router table fence distance and stops setting

CS (or router) Offset plate

CS with Zero clearance insert, why it's chipping?

T square

Measuring tape, not only for measuring

Measuring tape - version II

Construction Square - checking & adjusting to 90*

Blade cleaner

Triangles

Jointing with hand router II

Checking Diagonals

Checking Diagonals, version II

Checking Diagonals, version III

Checking diagonal, Version IV

Logs or round wood cutting jig

Router Lift for amateurs

Glue line on router table

Triangles

WOW :shock: That took longer than I thought ;)

Well done Niki!

Thank you so much

Actually, I wanted to post some jig but I did not know with what to start...

WiZeR, you solved the problem nicely, Thank you.

A few (well, many) pictures were missing just because I changed the file name in Photobucket, (thank you Shultzy for notifying me), but I re-loaded all of them (except a few unimportant).

Thanks again
niki

Back