Hollywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score

Another piece of Holly-wood.
This piece was an off cut taken from near the root of the Holly log.
Badly split but turned out o.k.Just about held together :eek:
This one is 130mm dia by 100mm high.
Paul.J.

Paul, Try some Low viscosity CA glue next time you get something like that, just make sure you wait a few minutes to allow all to harden before switching on machine, don't want a face full of the spray or fumes.

I have even had success with PVA on badly split pieces, forcing it through the crack with finger pressure and leaving to set before continuing beyond rough turning stage.

You can take this opportunity to fill any large voids with a suitable fine sanding dust mixture (home made wood filler) at the same time. Try Coffee Grounds or Instant Coffee Powder and CA in dark knots or Bark inclusions.

Thanks for the tip Chas,
but believe it or not the finished item was intended,though the big split on it wasn't as bad when i first started,it got wider as i progressed.It did just manage to hold together :shock:

I was turning a piece of ash yesterday that also started to split,and i did use PVA to glue it back together. :?: I might try and finish it later :)
Is the C.A glue like a superglue :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":3h8k9ptp said:
the big split on it wasn't as bad when i first started,it got wider as i progressed.It did just manage to hold together

Hence why I would advise glueing with CA before continuing if noticed.
If it fails whilst on the lathe it could cause injury.

Paul.J":3h8k9ptp said:
Is the C.A glue like a superglue :?: Paul.J.

One and the same, Cyanoacrylate ---- AKA Super Glue.

Latest posts

Back