Holly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
On my way to my Daughter's house which is only 10 minutes away I saw our council tree surgeons working at the side of the road so I decided to investigate. Some of the trees they were cutting down were poplar and pine which I wasn't interested in but they were also cutting down an old Holly tree which was about 15" diameter.

I took as much of this as I could get in my car and have sealed the ends meantime. I hope to start turning some of it green tomorrow or next day.

I decided to split one of the logs down the middle and saw that it had just started to spalt. I have left this under my hedge to see if the spalting will spread. Have I done the right thing or should I just use it as it is bearing in mind that I have quite a lot of it. I may even go back for more. Unfortunately most of the logs left are a bit big for me to handle myself, my son is on holiday and my chainsaw is electric. :lol:

I'd at least try turning some of it now,as I have always found holly difficult to dry,and very prone to splits.

Then I'd probably go and hire a chainsaw,go back and get the big bits,but split them down the middle.. 8)

Andrew

I had some Holly given me some time back which had been felled for about 18 months.
Seeked advice from the forum and it still split.
Managed to get some pieces out of it,and it is one of my favourite timbers so far that i've turned.
Managed to get some recently and have left it in long lengths to dry out.
Will just have to leave it for a long time i think.
Good luck with what you get :D
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back