Hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braveheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, after to long a time please take a few minutes to look at this piece as this is what I call my first hollow form. I took the inspiration from Chas and lashed out £8.00 and bought a pair of Rolly munroe small cutters and made my own tool. Did I hear tight git. :roll:

_MG_3962.jpg

_MG_3965.jpg

All comments welcome, many thanks

Hello Terry,good to see you back,and with a cracker of a piece :D
Can you give some more details on the wood and finish used,and some piccys of the tool you've made :D

Looks like a piece of Ash to me, certainly some precise feature control on that, the finishing and highlight blend colours look striking.

Must admit if I were to attempt that form I would have cheated and fitted a loose top.

Many thanks to you all, for your comments. To answers your questions the wood is as Chas accurately identified a piece of Ash, the size is 130mm high 140 mm wide and the opening is 30 mm in diam. The finish was Ebonising Lacquer followed by Sanding sealer. Then a Gilt cream was used "Liberon Versailles " and finally several coats of lacquer.

Paul as requested here are pics of the tool I made. :lol:

Hollowingtoolandfirst2hollowforms004.jpg

Hollowingtoolandfirst2hollowforms003.jpg

Hollowingtoolandfirst2hollowforms002.jpg

and just to show it lasted. Please see the next piece. This also is a piece of Ash, it is a crotch pice save from a bonfire pile.
_MG_3954.jpg

_MG_3957.jpg

_MG_3956.jpg

_MG_3955.jpg

Size 150mm high, 140 mm wide also with a 30 mm apature. Finish, in the knots there is brass, the piece has sanding sealer with 3 coat of Melamine.

BH,

Firstly well done for a couple of very nice pieces - I really like the coloured piece finish. Sometimes the 'toffee apple' gloss can look a bit, well ..... naff but for some pieces it is just 'right' and I think this is certainly one of them.

If I could offer one piece of constructive comment, for me the bases are a little large that have the effect of making them look 'heavy'. Perhaps try bringing the bases in to 50% or even 33% of the diameters of these and provided the curves can be kept flowing I think it will try nice work into fantastic work.

BRgs
Simon

Looks like you've done a good job on the hollowing tool Terry :D
The second form looks good also i think,though i think it would have been better if the base was turned down more to a point as it looks good lying on it's side :D

Both look good though I would also perhaps bring the base in a bit on a curve,. How do you use the gilt cream as I have found that it coats the wood too much and needs wiping off but dries so fast it doesn't come off. What do you use to get it off and left in the grain as you have?

pete

Many thanks again to you all, to answer Pete about the gilt cream. Having read an article by Mark Baker not long back the method is to use a " in my case a tissue" which has been moistened with Danish Oil. It is important to remember the MOISTEN part. Too much and you will soften the rest of the hardened cream and end up with a lovely black ebonised object. Then in a circular motion and with not much pressure wipe the cream away from the smooth surface leaving the still hard cream within the grain. Best of luck !

Back