Hollow form "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Foweraker":c89jy2dx said:
Hi Chas i acept that you are not keen on it that is not a problem.
I am interested to know what it is you dont like ie colour ,texture ,shape.
Regards George

George, hard to explain my perceptions but if it was displayed on Your Gallery front page it would be the least likely to grab my attention and click through. As a plain Ash it may well have drawn me to it like the Macrocarpa hollow form or the spalted Beech above it.

Hi Chas i think we are getting to bottom of this you prefer plain wood.
I dont colour everything i make but i have to admit i do colour a lot.
The spalted Beech i have just roughed out is going to be so pretty it would be a sin to colour it but that will not be ready for a couple of months.
I am working on quite a large hollow form in Ash at the moment and trying pyrography for the first time.
I am never ever offended if somebody does not like something i do but i like to know their reasons as sometimes it can make take a good look and maybe there is something i can improve on next time

Regards george

I have been watching this thread and debating whether to comment, as I am not that experienced.

Personally I like the shape, but there is something about the shades of the colours that you have used, they are triggering my "colours of sickness" button. If it was a darker green/yellow, or a more canary yellow then I can see that working, but the pale yellow/green makes me think of nasty diseases. Sorry, but you did ask :(

George Foweraker":u1gn0ebr said:
Hi Chas i think we are getting to bottom of this you prefer plain wood.

Almost there in that assumption George, perhaps it's more that I prefer distinct boundaries I think,
IMAG036.JPG
wood in all its glory

an object of art
IMAG027.JPG
that could have been made of any base material,

IMAG030.JPG
wood in all its glory with artistic highlights also float my boat.

It's something about the blurring of the boundaries that colour shading sometimes leads to that are not my preferred style.

This piece has certainly received a fair bit of interest if every piece gets as many comments as this i will be well pleased.
Nothing any of us make will be loved by everyone but if we enjoy making it then for me that is Ok.
I really appreciate the comments.
The three you have highlighted are.
!st one Macrocarpa with as George Watkins remarked a very Sangery lid.
2nd one is coated with paper mache textured and coloured.
3rd one i Beech and 5' 3" high.
Thank you Chas

Regards george

Hi Frugal.
Thank you for commenting i hope this colour is not going to make you sea sick.
This is one of those pieces that look a lot better in real life.
The coloring is almost golden and warm looking.
It also has many coats of lacquer which gives the finish a lot of depth.

Regards George

Yellow is a very hard colour to get right on wood. I made a finial box that I was going to colour the finial yellow, fading into black. It looked bloody horrible and the whole thing ended up black. Although being that I didn't win the competition, that's not really a good example. I found that too little and it looked odd and too much it looked sickly.

George has pulled it off better than I could ever do, but I still would prefer to see the Ash on this one. Like Chas, I'm in no way against colouring. Some of the coloured stuff on Georges website is loverly. Seeing MarkS' work at Yandles endeared me to his coloured\textured work too. This will certainly be a road of exploration for me. If I ever sort this bloody back out.

Looking forward to the WIP of the hollow form George.

Hello Tom
Colours are hard to get right but it is fun trying.
I have spent four hours pyroteching an Ash hollow form today and i dont like it.
It looked good until i added paint and that ruined it.
Nothing ventured i guess.
Excuse my ignorance what does WIP stand for.

Regards George

Back