hollow chisel morticer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said before if its getting that hot there is a lot of friction some where. Try taking the chisel out and checking the inside for build up of wood chips/ carbon from cutting, it can be quite difficult to see as it gets so burnished you might need to rake it out with something like a needle file.
You say the machine is used so are the chisels used as well? are they sharpend properly? with clearance for the waste.

i have made a video and i have uploading it to youtube
i am experiencing audio problems once the video has been uploaded so i am looking into this before i post the link

the machine is very quiet when the bit and chisel is not attached
the depth of the bit really doesnt seem to be the problem (as i hope the video will show), it is loud no matter what depth

thank you for all the help so far

Mike,

Without proper sound, it's difficult to hear how bad your morticer is. But it's the same model as mine. (A slightly later model is all.) Have you seen this YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGTp4oHxwC4

It's quite thorough. If that doesn't supply the answer, I'd say you have something out of line, bent, or you need to invest in some quality bits from Clico or similar.

PS.. Not trying to teach egg sucking but:

In your video, did you put the chisel in with the chisel-window facing forward for illustrative purposes? Or do you always have it that way around? I have mine facing the right hand side and I traverse the chisel to the left. This gives the chips room to exit the chisel.

These small morticers are fine, but don't always perform well on hardwoods, with a half-inch chisel; I never take full depth cuts; not even in softwood; especially so with harder timbers.

HTH

Latest posts

Back