holes in veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren242

Established Member
Reaction score
i have got some burr elm veneer i am wanting to use on a box lid, however it is has a few small holes in it, My question is what do you use to fill these holes with, something i can easily get would be an advantage lol

thanks again
Darren

Glue and saw dust from the timber that you are sanding . You can buy products that take the place of glue and saw dust but you still need to add the saw dust .

Has anyone ever used epoxy putty for this? I've heard an American finisher say that if you colour epoxy putty to match the wood colour, it's superb for filling in small holes. Whether or not the Axminster product would be suitable for this, I don't know. However, I've never found the glue-and-wood-dust solution very satisfactory and I'm open to alternative suggestions.

Gill

Well the "traditional" appraoch is good old-fashioned stopping, like Brummer. You canmix it to match, it softens with water and sands smooth. For a more decorative effect yo can use epoxy resin, like Araldite with added pigments or indeed pwdered brass or bronze or copper etc. That looks very good in the right context.

I've never got on well with the glue and sawdust solution either, I'm afraid.

HTH Steve

Latest posts

Back