holes for tapping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
assuming a home made router lift is a jig I hope i'm in the right place!

to make the above I need to put a thread in a hole - which is already very conveniently in the right place for it in the router

if the hole is 8mm (which it is) what size tap would I need to make the smallest threaded hole available? does that make sense?

I don't want to make the hole any bigger (apart from what I have to remove to cut the thread of course).

the hole is the hole that the depth stop slides up and down in - in case you wondered - and made of alloy - so easy to cut. and I don't mind voiding my warranty as the router cost a fiver at a boot sale on Sunday.

had a look at some charts on a techy web site that suggested an 8.5mm hole would enable an M10 thread - sound about right?

as ever thanks for any help

Pete

3/8"x16 UNC will not require the hole enlarging as 8.0mm is tapping size.

3/8"x20 BSF requires 8.3mm

3/8"x24 UNF requires 8.5mm

M9 x 1.0 metric fine requires 8.0mm but you would have a job finding screws to suit.

Jason

I would think you'll probably get away without enlarging the hole, as it's the non-ferrous alloy you're tapping. If you're leaving the springs on you could probably bond an M8 nut on the side opposite the base.

You guys are good!

loads of great ideas thanks - I'm kind of keen to tap the hole as it feels like a 'slicker' solution

but glueing an M8 nut on might be easier!

as with all my builds it's likely to be a long one i'll try and do some pics when complete

thanks again

Pete

stoatyboy":17c0b3y8 said:
as with all my builds it's likely to be a long one i'll try and do some pics when complete

When complete is all well and good, but it is 'work in progress' pics that we all love!! :wink:

well what I meant was I'll take the WIP pics but post them when project complete to save the agony of the waiting!...

look out for it in the projects section :roll:

but don't hold your breath

Back