Hole in wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodfinish Man

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help?

Last week I tried to hang a rather heavy mirror on our living room wall. It's a stone wall and after I'd made a hole i pushed in the rawlplug and then started to screw in the screw (all by hand). Unfortunately it was at this stage that that the plaster started to crack and with it some of the stone beneath. I released the tension and a piece of wall about 3 inches in diameter and 1inch thick fell to the floor.

I've now invested in a hammer drill and am going to try to hang it again but this time 3 inches higher.

Does anyone have any tips to help prevent the cracking happening again?

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

It might just have been a weak stone, what size drill screw and plug did you use? too small a hole and a big screw will cause problems. Try drilling a deep hole push the plug to the bottom where they will be more stone aroung the plug, or use a chemical anchor http://www.epoxy-info.co.uk/chemical%20 ... resins.htm

Pete

This is always a risk as even if the stone is sound you could end up drilling very close to the edge of one.

If the plaster has already come away then you could just bang in a timber wedge between the stones so it is just below the plaster finish. Then screw in the fixing you are using and and then plaster over. When the plaster has cured the fixing will be fully sound.

Otherwise careful drilling with a good drill and masonry bit and a chemical anchor is reliable.

Depends on the type of stone as well. Our walls are made of a very friable stone with lime mortar in between. Trying to hang anything is a bit like trying to win the lottery.

NightTrain is on the money with his suggestions.

Thanks for your replies. Planning on picking up some chemical anchor this evening. Also thought I might be able to hang the mirror on the original dado rail using metal wire.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice.

Ian

Latest posts

Back