Hobel & Axt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
May be old news, but I stumbled across this one while trying to identify an unusual plough plane - lots of lovely pictures of woodworking tools, ancient, modern, factory- and user-made. It occurred to me that the latter might potentially also provide some unusual inspiration for Secret Santas.

Hobel & Axt

Thanks for that - not a site I'd ever seen before, and covering some rarer types. There's certainly no limit to the ingenuity of plane designers!

I agree about the inspiration for home-made designs. For instance, this looks like a chamfer plane - an initial cut in one position, then a further cut in the other. Nice and easy to build from scrap, sized to suit what you need.

zizack1.jpg

zizack2.jpg

The various stair saws look quite easy to imitate too.

I was also interested to see his collection of file cutter's tools:

feilenhauer.jpg

There's a fascinating description of the technique of file cutting here at the Hawley Collection. The method matured and remained unchanged for hundreds of years.

Alf":34h9jbei said:
May be old news,

I think not, and thanks for finding that. I find non-English tool information very good for making one reconsider what's fundemental and what's just local practice.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back