Himalayan Balsam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Yesterday I posted a topic about litter. Today it's another topic that is really bugging me, and that is the spread of Himalayan Balsam. This is an invasive plant that is second only to Japanese Knotweed on the Environment Agency's list of unwanted plants. Local councils are obliged (or used to be, anyway) to clear ragwort from roadside verges etc., although there's plenty of the stuff on roadsides around here. However Himalayan Balsam it seems has no such status. The stuff just goes rampant, especially on river banks. There may be one plant this year, but next year it's literally hundreds.

The reason for this posting is not just to rant about it. It's to ask if anyone knows of an organisation that may be interested in dealing with it. Apparently there was an initiative near Llanilar (Aberystwyth) this year where local volunteers were clearing it, but there are issues (safety regarding roadside traffic and rivers, insurance, rights of way over private property etc). I get loads growing in the river bank at the bottom of my field and I can literally spend weeks pulling it up. Every year I pull up hundreds of plants each day, and it is so easy to uproot the stuff, but any I miss will set seed (as do next door's plants that aren't pulled up at all) and come up again with a vengeance the following year. I can do something about controlling those, but just driving along the road I see patches of it, occupying dozens or hundreds of square metres, all in flower and ready to spread seed by the million.

It would be great if there was some kind of national initiative to deal with it, like some counties do with Rhododendron Ponticum. Our local comprehensive school used to raise money by organising an annual sponsored walk. Apart from raising money, it serves no purpose. A sponsored balsam collection would do a service to the community as well as raise money. But as I said, there are issues. So a national initiative would be the answer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

K
K

Brilliant forrage for honey bees. Love the stuff personally.

benjimano":2by4y0cu said:
Noun
a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.

I don't agree with that definition and neither would most conservationists. Cultivated plants is too narrow a definition. An invasive weed like Balsam takes over and smothers ALL other plants including other wild plants. The latter are vital for a sound and varied ecology.

Much prefer Balsam to the Horse's Tail that seems to be taking over Lancashire :evil:

I'll swap you if you like :mrgreen: Balsam will bring even more bees back to my garden :wink:

i have it all here, balsam, knotweed, and my woods covered in rhodi. I started to pull up any balsam that showed its face after a neighbour farmer commented that it was seeding into his field, although the bees love it this year we were down to 3 plants. And after 26 years i think i have finally won the japanese knotweed battle. Have not started to tackle the rhodi yet.

I volunteer with the local wildlife trust and spend we many hours every year pulling this stuff up. Spend any time in an area where it has taken over (which can happen quickly as large mature plants can have up to 800 seeds) and you'll see that it really does need to be controlled even if it is liked by bees. If you're on a sandy river bank the balsam will shade out most other plant life and when it dies back in winter you're left with a sandy bank with no root system holding it together for when the floods come - cue banks being washed away.

I don't know if there's a national initiative and from what I've seen of council land it's largely ignored.
Our method is to go in with volunteers and pull it out by hand - the root system is very shallow and pulling is very effective if you can get it all. On some reserves we've been returning for several years and it's making a difference but it just takes one land owner nearby/upstream to not control balsam and it can easily return.
It's also possible to control it with spraying and slashing.

I organised an event for some geocachers to go balsam bashing and because they were effectively wildlife trust volunteers for the day they were covered by the trust's insurance. I gave a H&S talk at the beginning as well. It might be worth approaching councils or other land owners/charities in your area to see if this is an option.

If can be bothered to collect it the seeds are edible and last year I made some very tasty pesto - plenty of recipes online. The flowers can also be used for jam/syrup.

This year has easily been the worst for balsam that I can remember with several places having balsam over 11 feet tall and a girth to match...

Attachments

• balsam.jpg
    balsam.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 751
RogerS":2k5ai7nn said:
No a weed is a plant that totally excludes all other plants.

I have just seen a clump of Himalayan Balsam growing on a grassy river bank. Grass is a plant and it is not exluded. Therefore, Himalayan Balsam is NOT a weed. As a beekeeper, I am happy.

benjimano":3tgx6oeg said:
Noun
a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.

Not quite true. It can be any plant growing where it is not wanted. I have two "weeds" in my garden. Chives which grow in between the paviours on my patio and Alchemilla Mollis (Ladies Mantle) which grows everywhere including in the middle of my lawn. Both are very tough and have even survived a good spraying with weedkiller.

We bought some Alchemilla Mollis some years ago - we now have quite a surplus !! of the stuff. But it's not in the same league as Himalayan Balsam. I agree that it looks a pretty plant, and is good for bees, but it is so very invasive that I really detest the stuff. Apparently, it not only shades out other plants as has been said, with the corresponding ground erosion in winter. There is also the issue of pollination - insects pollinate balsam in preference to native plants, so the native plants lose out both ways.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

K

whiskywill":u6n6shd7 said:
RogerS":u6n6shd7 said:
No a weed is a plant that totally excludes all other plants.

I have just seen a clump of Himalayan Balsam growing on a grassy river bank. Grass is a plant and it is not exluded. Therefore, Himalayan Balsam is NOT a weed. As a beekeeper, I am happy.

I'm just quoting from the RHS...think they know what is a weed and what isn't. I never like a monoculture. Not good for the ecology.

Back