High Humidity...dehumidifier or vents??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":3qa5izoy said:
That's a coventional 'cold roof' Jim. Works ok but you could lose a fair bit of head height, depending on how much insulation you install of course.

Roy.

That was my quandry EXACTLY Roy....it is all a compromise I guess...

I don't think I can afford to lose that height...I suppose I could swing long timber around horizontally instead! :lol:

So far I have used estate boards (the corrugated plastic stuff used by estate agents) which were free...then laid on a layer of foil foam foil stuff...it seems to work so far!

The bit I haven't yet done is condensing...the other area (most) isn't and if it doesn't do it now with this humidity it NEVER will!

Jim

The alternative Jim is a 'warm roof', where the insulation goes on the outside of the roof. Ok if the extra height isn't a problem. DAHIK!

Roy.

hi all, very interesting
how does a warm roof work, I need to refelt existing roof and insulate roof at the same time, would like to use onduline or similar but need to walk on roof a couple of times a year to cut boundary hedge, is it possible to walk on onduline without damaging it. Maybe will look at some form of solar collector for back ground heat, whilst using Mikes ventilation idea

I don't normally post here but I have just had exactly the same problem with relative humidity levels at over 80% in the workshop and so have been looking into the pros and cons of dehumidifying a workshop and some of the info in this thread is incorrect.

Ventilation, as has been recommended, will do no good at all unless the workshop is well heated. Otherwise you are just swapping one lot of cold moist air for another. In fact it will cause more problems, as the outside air is likely to be colder than the air inside, and you will end up further cooling the workshop.

Keeping the workshop warm with some ventilation would help but is likely to be prohibitively expensive unless the workshop is very well insulated.

The only practical solution if you want to run your workshop at 60%RH is to get a dehumidifier. The latest desiccant wheel dehumidifiers , like Steve has bought, are the ones to go for as they will work at low temperatures. They do take a fair bit of current; I have an XDry and that is rated at about 700W but it only draws that level of power when it is actually dehumidifying. It spends a lot of time with just the fan running when consumption is very low.

One problem with dehumidifiers is that they will not cope with fine dust as the rudimentary filters are just designed to stop household fluff. If you want to run one in the workshop it should be run overnight when you are not working. This is why I bought the XDry, it is one of the few dehumidifiers that can be used with an external timer.

Of course all this would be a waste of time unless the workshop is reasonably well insulated and sealed.

Keith

Oh Lord! I wish I hadn't said anything now!
The best advise I can give is either ask Mike G or Google for a more complete answer. But basically the stuff I investigated is a cellular foam sandwich with a waterproof outer.
If you can stand the height gain Jim the cheapest/easiest option would probably be to remove the metal sheets, add further timber to the existing joists then go the cold roof route.

Roy.

Don't know anything about onduline Chris so I can't comment. About felt I can. Don't!
Unless there is some valid reason why not I would go 11mill or 18mill OSB then EPDM bonded on top. The EPDM is totally waterproof, will out last lots of refelting ops and can be walked on.

Roy.

Hi Roy.....

There is just too much acreage to do that mate...though I should have thought it through first I must admit. When you get 16 foot lengths of flat section plastic coated sttel from a warehouse for next to nothing and the sun is shining it all seems very simple....and it doesn't leak like a seive like the old one... :wink:

I have to think about the options now I have quite a bit of kit I want to keep....in the meantime I have ordered some more Camelia Oil from Workshop Heaven..(good price that!) and am copiously coating everything metal with it "just in case"!!!! :D :D :D

Jim

I don't get the first bit Jim. If you can lift the sheets and place extra timber on top of the existing joists that is the only additional expense to plaster board and insulation surely?

Roy.

AH...well it ain't QUITE that simple....the "lifting the sheets" bit...

I would have to take a picture to show you how....um FRANKENSTEIN...the evolution that is my workshop actually is.

Trust me...lifting the sheets is not an option. :wink:

J

Keith Smith":3qm14nyu said:
. . .This is why I bought the XDry, it is one of the few dehumidifiers that can be used with an external timer. . . .

The one I linked to will also work with a timer - it remembers the settings when the power is turned off. It can also be plumbed in which makes it good for a workshop as you then don't need to keep emptying the container.

Steve

Digit":2e6q68az said:
Trust me...lifting the sheets is not an option.

Sprayed foam?

Roy.

HA! That brings back memories. Years ago in a cottage I had in Cornwall which was 400 year old and granite walls as thick as Simon Cowell...the damp would ingress via the "pointing" or lack of it into the bathroom

Foam had just been "invented" or become popular and I decided to put a beautiful pine false wall up on battens...and it looked GREAT! THEN I made the mistake of deciding to fill it with expanding foam...

Which DID! BOY does that stuff EXPAND!

You can visualise it can't you? :oops: :oops:

My wife said I did a great impression as King Canute! :D :D

After that experience...it kinda put me off of expanding foam for life....

I never have had the guts to try it again...even if it IS pink now!

:D :D :D :D

Jim

I did some of the early product development on the stuff for the motor industry, and boy, did we get it wrong. Canute is about right!
We were moulding it in slabs in a ply box with one end open, one 100th in the box and rest everywhere! :lol:
But they have cracked it for roof insulation.

Roy.

Digit":2d2hw8gj said:
I did some of the early product development on the stuff for the motor industry, and boy, did we get it wrong. Canute is about right!
We were moulding it in slabs in a ply box with one end open, one 100th in the box and rest everywhere! :lol:
But they have cracked it for roof insulation.

Roy.

The spray stuff interests me..it may very well be the perfick solution my friend!

Do you know where you get it...do you rent a "gun thing" and how much it is roughly?

I think we may have cracked it!

Jim

promhandicam":13f8xfc9 said:
The one I linked to will also work with a timer - it remembers the settings when the power is turned off. It can also be plumbed in which makes it good for a workshop as you then don't need to keep emptying the container.

Steve

They look almost the same machine, I assume yours also has the natty cycling vent on the front. Looks to be the water collection that is the main difference. I was getting 6 litres per day out of mine until the RH dropped down to 55%. Now I only run it every third night on high and only get a litre out in eight hours. So I seem to have hit equilibrium. Workshop is warmer too, or feels that way now its drier.

Keith

Keith Smith":2lm9xzrq said:
They look almost the same machine, I assume yours also has the natty cycling vent on the front. Looks to be the water collection that is the main difference. . . .

Yes it does have a cycling vent on the top that can set in various positions. I think the one I have is maybe the latest version of your as mine is also made by Prem-I-Air.

Steve

Back