High Chair Construction Queries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm being nagged to build a high chair for the nipper. The workshop is now at a point where I can actually make something, so I probably should.

I considered the Tripp Trapp but LOML didn't like the fact it didn't have a tray. So I knocked this up:

high_chair.jpg

The tray will be mounted on small FE drawer slides to make getting in and out easy but it can also be removed.

First issue is the adjustable seat. I have designed a bracket that can be used much like a cabinet shelf:

bracket.jpg

Will this be safe enough?

The other issue is the weight. Thinking about using Ash with black Nylon rods for the slats.

Will it be too heavy?

TIA

I would bolt the seat to the frame for stability and devise a lock to fix tray from sliding once the occupant is loaded.

thanks OLD. The seat needs to be adjustable so do you mean some sort of knock-down hardware type bolt?

Hi Wizer,

I'd consider that chair to be very dangerous. The first thing my kids would do is climb up the back. You've effectively created a very unstable ladder.

Apart from that I like the design.

Dave

I concur with previous comments.

I would also ditch the drawer slides. What are they really achieving? The table needs to be removable for cleaning; there will be the hardware for the slides on the inside of the seat side where the occupant will be, which will provide sharp edges and all manner of places for finger and food trapping. IMO it would be better to just have a clip on tray that is easily removable/ fixed down.

Cheers

Tim

I really think you should reconsider the trip trapp. They are excellent for the back and posture of the child as they always have their feet resting on a surface.
They do not need a tray as the chair will slide under the table and hence the child is integrated at the table and not shoved off to one side.

And they are comfortable for adults too!

Cheers

Andy

I agree with Tim and Dave, I'd be worried about the kids trying to climb up the back too. However I think the idea of using drawer slides on the tray is fantastic, are you going to use some sort of pin to lock the tray off for feeding? Are you going to install a strap or seat belt system to ensure that baby can't slide out?

I became a dad for the first time a week ago, so I'll be following this post with interest.

Regards,
Daz

soundaz":73oqxaex said:
I became a dad for the first time a week ago, so I'll be following this post with interest.

Congrats Daz. I was planning on using straps to secure the nipper, they actually sell them on the baby sites. Tho for 'style' I might consider making them from leather.

Good point about the ladder back, I was just trying to be a bit modern and stylish (huh). I do like the design though and I guess climbing on the back is just a case of discipline.

Point taken about the drawer slides, trapped fingers crossed my mind. I was trying to think of a clever system to make the tray removable (as FE drawer runners are easily removable). I'll have a think about how to make the tray both safe and clip-on

Andy: the thing about not having an integrated tray is we will probably not always feed her at the table (so my missus informs me). Which is why I thought having a removable tray would be a benefit. I am tempted by the Tripp Trapp for the posture benefits. I did look at a way to fit a try to it but couldn't conjour up anything worth while.

Bit too advanced for me, she'd be 17 before I got that done ;)

I did see this:

hcs_est_mult_t42_m.jpg

Which I guess could be copied.

You'll need some kind of vertical bar that sits between your child's legs, otherwise he/she will slip down underneath the table.

Also be careful about stability - my daughter would hang over the side trying to reach things she had dropped.

Have you thought about one that breaks down into a small table and chair once the use of a highchair is no longer required? We bought one like this from Mothercare. My daughter (now 4 1/2) has it in the lounge and she still uses it daily for drawing and coloring, for tea parties etc.

Of course, if there is likely to be another small person arriving in the future, you may want to just keep it as a high chair, but it may be worth considering.

Dave

Lurker,
I made two chairs but used an existing chair as the template.

I few images and write up can be found here:-
http://andy--valeries-website-comments.blogspot.com/

Andy

Wizer,
Looking at my chairs it would be possible to fix a tray on arms extending from the sides with a dowel into the seat to help take the weight, and if you are worried about your child slipping off, would provide a restraint as well.
My twins were 3 when they had theirs so I did not make a restraint.

cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy I'm still mulling this over. I do like my original design so i'm going to try to make it work if I can.

Out of interest, how do the seat and footrest stay in place? Are they locked somehow?

FWIW, we have a Tripp Trapp for my son. It's the only chair he's ever had. Didn't have a tray. Just pushed him up to the table with the rest of us. I thought about making a tray and had figured one out. We just didn't need it. I could add one for you. ;)

The beauty of the Tripp Trapp is that it'll be in use for a long time whereas a more traditional high chair won't.

I just saw the E chair today. Interesting.

As far as your design, I think I agree with the idea that you need to bolt in the supports. It won't be long and junior will be climbing up it and trying to loosen the joints.

FWIW, I found these. The first is from 2005. (he's three and a half now) they don't show the chair that well but you can see he has no trouble at the table.

dsc02404.jpg

And in 2006

dsc03426.jpg

Thanks Dave, i'd certainly be interested in seeing how you add the tray onto the Tripp Trapp.

I am leaning back towards the Tripp Trapp design but more towards a variation like:

48330000.jpg

Can anyone tell me what fittings are used to bolt the chair and tray in place? I assume it's some sort of T-Nut?

Oh and would they be M&T joints at the leg base?

I'll doodle something up when I get home from work.

I would use either threaded inserts or cross dowels into the tray and other parts. The Tripp Trapp uses some flat, rectangular inserts for the back rest pieces. Maybe I can get a photo of that.

I'll look and see what I can tell you about the bottom joint. Although the Tripp Trapp looks more like your photo, I'd be inclined to make a halving joint there.

WiZeR":3bizrnbi said:
Cheers Andy I'm still mulling this over. I do like my original design so i'm going to try to make it work if I can.

Out of interest, how do the seat and footrest stay in place? Are they locked somehow?

The seat and foot rest are held in place by friction. As the bolts in the back rest and between the sides are tightened it pulls the sides together.

As for the alternative design why not cut the sides out of one sheet of ply, you will then not have to worry about joints. This is what I did with mine. It will be very strong.

Cheers

Andy

Here is another design, one I've considered adapting and building myself.

20.jpg

One thing I haven't seen on any of these high chairs is any type of padding on the seat. All the seat pieces are flat as well, could lead to numb bum syndrome and an unhappy baby.

Back