Hi from Loughton, UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS1980UK

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I hope you are all well and safe.

My name is Bruno and I am originally from Brazil but moved to the UK in 2019.
I am new to woodworking and I don't have a proper workshop so I have to work on the garden deck (when the weather permits).

I have successful assembled guitar kits before and I am now embarking on the journey of building my first guitar from scratch (proper wood working). I also made my first coffee table.

Having just become a a father of 2 beautiful (aren't they always?) twin girls, I am now also very keen to try to build toys. I have just acquired David Wakefield's book Animated Animal Toys.

Looking forward to learn and share here.

My 'workshop':
e1882179-032c-4ee1-8894-69aae8718bd7.JPG

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Hi Welcome i'm not far from you. i go to Mens shed in Bow E3 one of the guy's running it plays Guitars and does classes along with knowing woodwork like back of hand

Hi Welcome i'm not far from you. i go to Mens shed in Bow E3 one of the guy's running it plays Guitars and does classes along with knowing woodwork like back of hand
I'm closer!
Not only do I also live in Loughton, but am also the father of twins! Mine are boy/girl and I suspect a little older than yours (25!).

I'm closer!
Not only do I also live in Loughton, but am also the father of twins! Mine are boy/girl and I suspect a little older than yours (25!).
Hi E.B.W.

Yes, yours are definitely older. I am still counting the girl's age in weeks (10).

I just checked your website and work. Great Tables! Is The Barn open to visitors?

Last edited:
Hi Bruno
Welcome to the forum and to fatherhood. Twins eh? You’re going to be busy!
Whereabouts in Brazil are you from? We (wife, kids and I) live in neighbouring French Guiana at the moment. Been here getting on for 6 years. Considering moving to Brazil in a couple of years time. Probably to Santarem in Para state. I’d be interested to pick your brains about all things woodworking related (e.g. buying tools and materials) in Brazil if that’s cool with you? Maybe I can PM you?
Cheers
James

Hi Bruno
Welcome to the forum and to fatherhood. Twins eh? You’re going to be busy!
Whereabouts in Brazil are you from? We (wife, kids and I) live in neighbouring French Guiana at the moment. Been here getting on for 6 years. Considering moving to Brazil in a couple of years time. Probably to Santarem in Para state. I’d be interested to pick your brains about all things woodworking related (e.g. buying tools and materials) in Brazil if that’s cool with you? Maybe I can PM you?
Cheers
James
Hi James, thank you.
I was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro (some 4.000 km from you). I have visited Santarem once, more precisely Alter do Chao. Lovely place.
I am afraid I don't know much about woodworking in Brazil since I really got involved after I moved here to the UK. I know your region (up the North and around the Amazon) is home to some of the most amazing woods in the whole world (and some of the most endangered too, unfortunately). Illegal logging is rampant around there so I would ask you to pay special attention to the source of wood you acquire.
Regarding tools, I am afraid you will have to rely on imported. I personally am not aware of any good national brands. Back in the day I remember the few tools my father had were imported Bosch, but those were the early 80s and we were still on a Military Dictatorship with closed borders. Good Old South America!
Training wise, you can look for the SENAI. I am sure they still have good courses. I guess you already know but just in case, 'woodworking' in Portuguese is called 'marcenaria' .
Please let me know if you would like any specific information. I probably won't have it but can help you find it.

Hi Bruno - I am in Loughton as well. Always happy to meet someone else on their woodworking journey. I picked it up in lockdown - have made a few coffee tables, shelves etc but still very inexperienced.

My garage is below - always happy to host if you wanted to while away a weekend day (new babies permitting). Hope to meet you at some point.

Regards
IMG_7609[1].JPG

Hi Bruno - I am in Loughton as well. Always happy to meet someone else on their woodworking journey. I picked it up in lockdown - have made a few coffee tables, shelves etc but still very inexperienced.

My garage is below - always happy to host if you wanted to while away a weekend day (new babies permitting). Hope to meet you at some point.

Regards
Hi @Gandalfs Staff!
Great space you have. I will message you privately.

Back