Here's My New Project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd show my new project. I haven't started on it yet but I will this weekend.

From the outside.
UsedBoats_823_04.jpg

First orders of business are to replace a little piece of wood blocking under a washer up in the forepeak
61912d01.jpg

And then replace a rotted bulkhead to which the port upper shroud attaches.

1fe94f4d.jpg

f983e78d.jpg

325bbb3c.jpg

And finally for this season, acttack the failed finish on an exterior rail.

f3cb91a9.jpg

I figure I'll be able to use SketchUp somewhere on the project although I don't know where, yet. Maybe I can figure out how to get my WoodRat into the act, too. :D

Nice looking yacht Dave. Looks like it is worth all the work involved to get it shipshape. Keep us posted on the restoration and good luck with it. :wink:

Very nice , is this your new yacht or are you doing it for someone else ?

Thank you gentlemen. As of last night this little yacht is ours. She's a 1980 Catalina 27. Compared to alot of others her age she seems to be in pretty good shape.

Quy is the name of the previous owners. They would drive down to the boat for quiet time so it worked. I asked about the name Quy. I had already done a Google search on it and saw a number of UK references. He said it was originally French, de Quy but his ancestors had moved to the UK and changed it. They pronounce it like the qui in quiet which makes the leap to the boat's name easier.

We'll rename her at some point but haven't decided what. I thought maybe we would continue the play on words some how. Maybe we'd put a strike through Quy and paint Richards above it. What do you think of Richardset Time? :lol:

As much as I like the sailboat I built, it is so unique around here that we couldn't just go for a sail. At home when no one stops to talk to me about, I can set up the boat in about 15 minutes. When I go to a boat ramp, it can be more than an hour because of all the questions I have to stop and answer.

I'll keep you updated on the projects.

There is a river Quy just NE of Cambridge, more of a large stream really, but yes, it does have a bridge over it. :lol:

dave

Nice looking yacht, and a nice project to get your teeth into, but remeber owning a boat is like throwing money into an empty bucket.

Keep us posted of progress.

Waka":29ahbovk said:
dave

Nice looking yacht, and a nice project to get your teeth into, but remeber owning a boat is like throwing money into an empty bucket.

Over here the saying is, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into." I figure if it isn't this hole, it's some other one. :wink:

Dave R":28qzorgg said:
Waka":28qzorgg said:
dave

Over here the saying is, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into." I figure if it isn't this hole, it's some other one. :wink:

Yes it's a hole. We have the same saying here :lol:

On the subject of boats I know two really good remedies for sea sickness

One eat lots of strawberry sandwiches.
It tastes as nice coming up as it did going down :lol:

The other 100% remedy and most definately works is
Sit under a tree :lol:

Alright, here are a couple of pictures that prove I did some woodworking over the weekend.

After removing the bulkhead.
DSC03903.jpg

Some of the rot on the old bulkhead.
(img}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/weekender410/Quyet%20Time/DSC03911.jpg[/img]
DSC03912.jpg

And the new bulkhead installed. It doesn't match the rest of the woodwork but it'll get us sailing for now..

27940b8e.jpg

Back