Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
On one of the boxes I've been making there is an imperfection in the wood that needs a filler of some sort. I have heard in the distant past that a resin type filler can be used, but i don't know anything about these.
Any ideas in the right direction would be appreciated.

Sanding dust and Thin CA. difficult to get an exact match (need to use lighter dust colour so that it darkens when wetted with glue)so more often its best to go for a contrast simulating a knot or similar.

Big defects can look OK filled with coffee grounds.

Obvious round worm holes often blend in better if you disfigure the surround into a split like defect so that it follows the grain and looks more natural.

Big holes glue, add dust and more glue if needed.
Or just put dust in and dribble CA into it.
Large holes build up in layers.

If near finished size coat surrounding wood with sanding sealer to stop CA wicking and staining surface.

CHJ":2p4ob5zm said:
Sanding dust and Thin CA. difficult to get an exact match (need to use lighter dust colour so that it darkens when wetted with glue)so more often its best to go for a contrast simulating a knot or similar.

Big defects can look OK filled with coffee grounds.

Obvious round worm holes often blend in better if you disfigure the surround into a split like defect so that it follows the grain and looks more natural.

Big holes glue, add dust and more glue if needed.
Or just put dust in and dribble CA into it.
Large holes build up in layers.

If near finished size coat surrounding wood with sanding sealer to stop CA wicking and staining surface.

Thanks Chas, excellent information as usual.

Do you want to try and disguise the defect or enhance it as a feature? Chas's advice is good for disguising but remember to make sure the surrouinding wood is sealed as the CA glue darkens the wood, ideally use a sawdust lighter in colour than the surrounding wood as again it will be darker when soaked in the glue.

Pete

Bodrighy":hys81d0q said:
Superglue. You can get it in bulk bottles and in different viscositys for different uses.
Thanks. I was reading "CA" as "Contact Adhesive", and I couldn't see how that would work...

Any particular superglue recommended ?

WoodMangler":3i4tztc9 said:
Bodrighy":3i4tztc9 said:
Superglue. You can get it in bulk bottles and in different viscositys for different uses.
Thanks. I was reading "CA" as "Contact Adhesive", and I couldn't see how that would work...

Any particular superglue recommended ?

I get mine from Axminster, they have a range of setting times etc.

Zap a gap is great for this
My current bottle has lasted well over a year and I use it for lots of different types of jobs.

I've been getting CA glue from Toolstation the last few years, haven't checked recently but I think at was two to three quid for 50ml bottles, thin, medium and thick available, and was the best value I could find and seemed decent quality.

Cheers, Paul

Back