Help with info on the beautiful old Irish moulding planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I have a box of old molding planes that I'm trying to identify and research. I suspect that they are Golden Lane, made in Ireland because one, but only one of the lot is stamped with "Booth 35 Golden Lane Dublin". I will attach a photo of one of them - its not the inscribed one - I can take more photos.
Out of the dozen or so I have, only 4 are marked. Inscribed as follows:
1) "Booth 35 Golden Lane Dublin" (in script) - also "MZ Cronin" (may be ML) and initials M W
2) A O'Connel" and "H Brown"
3) T A Hern (I think)
4) TAH
I will appreciate your help-Thanks in advance

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/7365/19rf2.jpg
http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/7433/43uw.jpg

Lane

Hi Lane
Welcome to the forum, sorry I cant help with the planes but some one on here might be along that does

I can't recall there being any plane makers in Ireland, maybe Alf could dig out her Goodman and confirm. I do know that Edward Preston of Birmingham, England cutlivated the Irish market to the extent that they made a number of "Irish pattern" tools including a block/thumb plane and the like and I cannot recall any other maker who did "Irish pattern" tools. The Booth stamp with an address sounds like a tool merchant's stamp and Cronin is probably the owners stamp, similarly the other stamps are probably owners marks too.

Scrit

Lane's posted this query to every other hand tool board in Christendom so I didn't think it worth repeating, but yes, Goodman does list Booth Bros in Dublin from about 1875-1900. Can't remember where I asked if he had a pic of the H Brown stamp - 'cos there was a maker of that name, though not Irish. The others sound like owners to me; they're not in Goodman anyway.

Cheers, Alf

I dont have a pic of the H Brown stamp - but I can take one. Here is the inscription on the one that is marked. Thanks...

cu29yg.jpg

Back