Help with fixing a table top wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.h

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the closing stages with my first project at my woodwork class, a nice simple table design. I have some danish oil waiting for the finish but first need to fix the top to the legs. I'm not too sure which is my best option here, screw up from under the leg braces and carefully ensure I only screw halfway into the top surface. Or use fine nails from the top then a punch to recess the tops so I can fill with glue and sawdust?

Pictures enclosed to give an idea what i'm on about.

Attachments

• 20121112_091729.jpg
    20121112_091729.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1,537
  • 20121112_091907.jpg
    20121112_091907.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,537
The bit about nails, that was a joke I hope!
Screw through the rails or possibly use buttons, but that would have been easier to cut in before you glued up.

top made from solid wood? buttons would be the way to allow movement however probably a bit late now. How about using screws from underneath but instead of making round holes in the braces for the screw shank to pass through, make 2" slots instead. Then you can use a washer under the screw head and the slot should allow for any movement in the top. If that makes sense. I can do a diagram if you wish

Hi
I agree wooden buttons are the best but:
An easy alternative is to use 4 stretcher brackets. Screw to the rails using roundhead screws thru the holes.
Screw to the top thru the slots, (use the slots going across the grain to allow movement of the wood)
£1:45 for 10 brackets (Screwfix), but any good ironmonger may stock them.
Cheers John

phil.p":15u2z3gv said:
:) .........any good ironmonger may stock them...............Which decade are you writing from?

Some of us still have proper shops - and anyone who does should support them. Maybe I'm just lucky in Bristol but five minutes walk away we have an old-school DIY and hardware shop which I personally have used for 32 years, which sells screws by counting them out, gives patient advice to the clueless, stocks all the fittings likely to be used in the houses nearby, including matching skirting board, cuts wood to size and is much cheaper than B&Q for most of what it sells, even paint!

I think they stock table top brackets - but for a table as small as this one all you need to do is to drill fairly loose holes in the stretchers and you'll have enough room for the top to change size a bit.

AndyT":2boacqqm said:
Maybe I'm just lucky in Bristol but five minutes walk away we have an old-school DIY and hardware shop which I personally have used for 32 years, which sells screws by counting them out, gives patient advice to the clueless, stocks all the fittings likely to be used in the houses nearby, including matching skirting board, cuts wood to size and is much cheaper than B&Q for most of what it sells, even paint!

We have one in the town I work in that's pretty similar, save that they don't sell wood. They sell bits of iron, so they're an ironmonger!

I think in all the time I've known them I've only once been in there and not walked out with exactly what I wanted.

Hi
Sorry to disagree - but warping and shrinkage should be taken into account even if the top is small.
If it is solid wood glue and dowels is not the best solution.
John

I made my first table a few years ago, and made the mistake of thinking all the hard work was in the legs and frame, with the top being a case of just putting on. Came and asked the same question on the forum, then found out buttons are by far the best way to fix a table top. However, it does feel too late once the frame work's been done. So I went for braces incorporated into the corners of the framework, then drilled holes larger than the screws I was planning to use.... to allow for the movement of the wooden top.

Allowing for the woodent table top to move is crucial whatever you do, so make sure you don't use any glue other your top may become defective in the future.... Possibly split or crack on top or the frame underneath.

Here's a photo of what I did.... but should use buttons really. (Also wished I'd engraved my name in, after everything else had been done traditionally, the top fixing and pernament marker let it down)

31082008137.jpg

Latest posts

Back