Help with first ever project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys and girls before I get started with my questions I would just like to say Hi to everyone and after browsing a few forums this seems to be the right one for me to get the advice I need.
I have always loved woodwork but never done anything of any importance but now a new hobby has got me interested in making my own units for keeping my reptiles.
Below is a snake rack which I bought that I guy made a few years ago and no longer makes etc so Therefore I would like to make a couple more matching ones and hopefully you's can guide me along the way.

I have attached 2 photos of what I would like to get started with.
1- How do I go about cutting/routering the view windows on the side?
2- How do I make a jig to router out the shape of where the heat cable is ? (shown under alu tape)

Cheers All and I'll be sure to make a step by step of the build and setup up and running :)

Attachments

• P1000811.JPG
    P1000811.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 194
  • P1000812.JPG
    P1000812.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 194
For the windows make youself a jig from mdf or ply that can be used over and over again. Routing out for the cable should be fairly easy to do freehand (practice on some scrap till you get the feel for flowing curves) the cable is flexable so you dont have to be super accurate.

Make a jig to just cut out one hole at a time. Start off with some 12-18mm board (ply or mdf). Mark out the size of the hole you want. (you need to allow extra for the gap between a brush guide and router cutter). Then cut out with a jigsaw. Clean up the edges with sandpaper so they are nice and smooth. Now using a router with a brush guide fitted to the base and a straight cutter, you can just router out the hole in the pieces for the job.

Remember to make you jig bigger than you need so you have a flat base for the router to sit on and also some surface to clamp the jig to the workpiece.

hope that helps you.

Thanks very much for your reply but I am still lost, I shall search the internet for some pics or something as I dont know how to go about it at all.

the reptile project":q2tf4z51 said:
I understand how to make the jig and the bit to use but how do I go about getting the router to cut out the new hole and follow the jig?

Once you have a template you can probably just stick it to the wood you want to cut with double sided tape ( I use carpet tape), then use a bearing guided bit in your router to follow the template.

I posted on making a simple circle cutting base for my router on my blog, which I think will result in a neat circle template, for the pipe groove, or could be used to cut the semicircular ends of the slots directly.

You could of course use ply or MDF instead of perspex and a nail or screw instead of the rolled pin.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks very much thats cleared things up for me, Thanks Guys for the replies I shall start my new build thread when I get sorted with the wood ;)
Thanks again

If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to contact me on here or thru my website (my website emails directly to me)

Back