HELP WITH ELECTRICS PLEASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris By The River

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, another newbie here!!!!
I am just in the process of returning to the lathe after a few years away. I have managed to buy a nice old Coronet (48" centres) for a decent price but the lathe is fitted with a new 3 phase Brook Hansen 1hp motor along with a 'Commander SE' box with variable speed control.
I only have access to single phase and my question is - Can I use any of the above mentioned bits or do I have to just buy a new motor? My budget is limited (she who see's all) so I would appreciate any help.
Thank you
Chris

depending on what sort of 3 phase it is you might be able to get a transformer - however there wont be much difference in price between this and buying a single phase motor.

alternatively you could have a three phase supply fitted in the workshop.

which route you chose will be a matter of persobal preference

personally i would buy a single phase motor and sell the three phase on ebay to defray some of the cost.

Hi Chris,

I have a 3 phase motor driven from single phase supply by a Commander SE 3 phase drive and it works very well. The links Chas posted should get you running but if you have any doubts on doing the electrics yourself get a professional to wire it for you! Assuming you bought it as one working unit the drive should already be programmed. If not you can download the manual from the Control Techniques site. I had to programme another drive made by Mitsubishi and it was ok once I had read the manual about three times :)

Coronet and variable speed sounds like a good combination, good luck with it.

Graham

Good morning Guys, thank you for the responses so far.

I am not sure what the Commander unit actually is - It is in a big white box and I have opened it up to find a set of 3 phase wiring each side.

Looking at their website there seems to be 2 models available differing by the input voltage - I take it that mine has 440v input.

It was working (Beautifully) in situ when I bought it hard wired to a 3 phase supply.

I will have a look at the links that you have posted to see if I can understand what it is all about (but i'm no sparky!!!)

Thanks again - I can't wait to get turning!

Hi Chris,

reply edited wed 5th.

Apologies for not thinking :oops: I assumed it would be a 1 phase in 3 phase out as used by folks like us who only have single phase at home. Some SE inverters can run on both single and three phase, others are either single or three phase. The manufacturer's website has information.

If yours is not dual input you could use either the 3 phase motor with a different single phase input inverter or buy a suitable single phase motor. My experience is that the cost is broadly similar unless you have access to used motors or drives through work or contacts.

A motor might be cheaper but you need to get the right mounting, output shaft diameter and rpm as otherwise you may have to spend more on pulleys etc to fit it to your lathe. I bought a poor lathe fitted with a Commander SE and a Siemens 3 phase motor from a factory which was closing down. It was cheap but I had to drive a long way to collect it.

There are a couple of new 0.75 kw single phase motors on Ebay now for £45 (2800rpm) and £50 (1400rpm) respectively plus £10 postage. There is also a used Mitsubishi drive for £65 plus £10 postage. Well known brands of motors and inverters are more expensive new. There is a guy called Gavin Osman who sells inverters on homeworkshop.org.uk. I will pm his details to you in case you are interested.

I would go for the inverter myself. Having said that, in addition to my 28x40lathe with variable speed I also have a small Jet 1014 lathe with pulleys to select turning speed which I find to be very nice to use and no trouble at all when changing speeds.

Whichever way you go watch out for over speeding your lathe if it has plain bearings.

Hope this helps

Graham

HI Chris,
I would guess that it is a three phase input if it was wired that way when you took it out. My first approach would be to the manufacturer to see if you can get the unit rewired for single phase. If they sold the unit in both forms that could be a possibility?? If not I would suggest buying another inverter, like the commander, but that has a single phase input. The speed control gives you much more control and basic ones shouldn't cost much more than buying a new motor. I've seen them on Ebay for about £150 new, I think.

Johnny B

hpl":1y5y3xu1 said:
HI Chris,
I would guess that it is a three phase input if it was wired that way when you took it out. My first approach would be to the manufacturer to see if you can get the unit rewired for single phase. If they sold the unit in both forms that could be a possibility?? If not I would suggest buying another inverter, like the commander, but that has a single phase input. .....Johnny B

Just need to check that the existing 3 phase motor can be linked for dual voltage. (415/230) It will have 3 brass links or similar in connector box.

Most legal 1ph to 3ph invertors supply 230 volt 3 ph, not 415v. (excessive harmonics on 230/415 units can break most suppliers terms and conditions)

Thanks to all you guys for the technical help. I have emailed Control Techniques to request advice and will let you know how I get on in case it will help others in the future.
I have now rebuilt the lathe in the workshop and it looks brilliant!! Well worth the 250 mile round trip to get it even though I had to drive all the way home with the fear that the heavy stand was going to break my rear window - it only just fitted in my Discovery with the front seat pushed forward!!!!!
An added bonus was that the seller included 10 chisels (Sorby and Record) in with the deal.
But, you know what it's like - it's just sitting in the workshop - calling me...

Back