Help with bench.Any ideas??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, I take it the lathe wall is just a light weight partition one.

If there is room in front of the vehicle when parked I would build up two columns with 45 X 20 X 10CM concrete blocks, you can straddle your hose near the wall on the left column.

p.jpg

Thanks Colin,but i think i will still have the problem with the wall.

Chas that does seem to be the most solid idea.
I will have a measure up tomorrow.
I've got some blocks :D
Might even take the panel away to give me that few more inches. :D

Paul.J.

That's the way 'Trev the Turner' had his mounted, I think he also had a cupboard underneath, although yours would not be so deep back to front you could use the cupboard door frame to stiffen the top shelf (4X2 for top member)

4 rag bolts or decent coach screws down into the top bricks/blocks should hold it.

If block height does not work out spot on, use 4X2 thicknessed to suit bolted to blocks/bricks

My problem is that we have to put the car away each night Rolling Eyes

Why not leave the car outside , and that way you have an nice " Workshop "

:lol: :lol: :p

Blister wrote
Why not leave the car outside , and that way you have an nice " Workshop "
Now why didn't i think of that idea :?
Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

It's a little unusual, and I can't see things well enough to know whether it would work, but could you somehow brace the bench to the ceiling joists, rather than to the floor? That would leave the space below the bench unencumbered.

Bob

Much clearer with the photos Paul, thanks.

I'd go with something similar to what Chas has suggested but do away with the bracket holding the bench to the wall so that the bench is completely self supporting.
If you use thicker wood for the bench you could move the supports further away. The thicker bench may mean that you have to make yourself a step to turn on, but that has the added advantage of taking your feet off the cold garage floor:)

I was wondering about the need for a central support or leg for the bench and then a thought struck me - other than the weight of the bench there's nothing weighing down on the centre so if the edge supports were string enough you could perhaps remove it. Then I started thinking - if the centre of the bench isn't supporting anything does it need to be there (other than to provide space to put things on and catch shavings)? Perhaps there's some way to solve this problem by doing away with the actual bench and just using supports (brackets or legs) at each end. You could then have some sort of folding bench for use whilst working.

Paul, the problem is your garage/workshop isn't big enough. OK that's stating the obvious. I had a similar problem once when I bought a car without checking whether it would fit in the garage, it didn't, but only by, if memory serves correctly, by about 6". The garage had an 'up and over' door. We managed to 'lengthen' the garage by adjusting the door and door frame. Could this idea be a solution to your problem? If so all your bench problem would be more easily remedied.

Bob Chapman wrote
but could you somehow brace the bench to the ceiling joists
Thanks Bob,but the joists above the lathe are also attached to 3/4 ply sheets,so i might get the same problem as with the wall :?

Duncanh wrote
Perhaps there's some way to solve this problem by doing away with the actual bench and just using supports (brackets or legs) at each end. You could then have some sort of folding bench for use whilst working.
Some good ideas their Duncan. :D

Whitley wrote
We managed to 'lengthen' the garage by adjusting the door and door frame. Could this idea be a solution to your problem? If so all your bench problem would be more easily remedied.
Good idea,but am afraid no can do :(

It seems that the main problem is getting the car in under the bench. If so why can't you build a really heavy duty bech as wide as needs be but higher and have a removable platform to stand on. You could go as Chas suggested or even like Marks heavy duty bench on an A frame this way

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
It seems that the main problem is getting the car in under the bench. If so why can't you build a really heavy duty bech as wide as needs be but higher and have a removable platform to stand on. You could go as Chas suggested or even like Marks heavy duty bench on an A frame this way

Thanks Pete.
You are correct the main problem is the height,but i have already raised it as high as i can go,you can see the 3" duckboard under the bench that i stand on to come up to work height.
The other problem is the width.
I could go wider and have pillars either end,but i like Duncans idea of just doing away with the bench top and resting the lathe on the pillars.This will give more height under the lathe,but i don't think i have the width on the lathe to fit the car under this way.
Hope this makes sense :?

Paul

The pillar method sounds the answer. Why don't you set the pillars wide enough apart to get the car in there. Then put a platform (building beam?) across these to sit the lathe on also making sure the pillars are high enough again for the car. Hope that makes sense :?:

I had a thought last night - I should have suggested looking at the stands for the Nova lathes for ideas.
The one available in NZ is substantial cast iron - http://tinyurl.com/2sj2kc
The one in the UK now available from Record is steel and similar to the one I got a couple of years ago - http://tinyurl.com/329lgx

The steel one originally had a horizontal piece connecting the 2 ends but they appear to have done away with that. Notice how the legs are splayed.
My stand works well but I have had to ballast it with 2 shelves low down on which I rest 2 breeze blocks.
You could make similar legs from rectangular section steel or you could perhaps make some substantial boxed in supports that can be filled with sand to absorb vibration.

One advantage of not having a bench under the lathe is that you can put your waste collection bin underneath the work and direct shavings into it either by modifying your gouge hold, moving the bin slightly, or deflecting them with a hand.
The downside of this idea, of course, is that you then have a huge haystack waiting to collect those small screws etc that you rather stupidly decide that it's faster to change in situ rather than over at the shavings free bench :oops:

If I remember Paul's layout correctly, one of his main constraints is that the vehicle centreline is more inline with the door to be seen on the right than the lathe, this results in the problem that any stand would have its right hand leg just at the point where the vehicle encroaches most.

I think a mobile base may be in order with suitable lock down castors.

Example of castorsHere but you may have to sign in.

If a mobile base is needed they came up with a clever one at my local club for use with the steel DVR lathe stand.
The castors at each end are mounted on a board that is hinged and which has a long lever mounted in the middle.
When the lever is up the castors are off the floor and the stand takes all the weight as normal.
When the handle is down the castors are on the floor.

I should be seeing it again in a couple of weeks if you'd like a photo.

Thanks Mark/Chas/Duncan.
I don't really fancy a mobile lathe,but if it turns out to be my only option then if you could get a piccy Duncan it would give me a better idea i suppose.
Would there be enough weight in a mobile system :?:

I do like the pillar idea and have been measuring up and i could get 2 pillars in,though they would only be a single coarse of blocks.
Would this be suitable. :?:
Also will a sand,cement mix be suitable to use,with vibration etc,from the lathe or is there a strong adhesive,like No Nails i could use.

HI

From the photos it looks like you have brick walls with timber roof joists, if that is the case this idea should work.

Suspend the table saw from the ceiling, it may sound strange but I have seen a similar thing this morning.

I was picking up a dining table for a friend this morning and it was in this persons garage and I noticed this workbench hanging from the ceiling. So as you do I asked him about it.

He is a carver and woodworker using mainly handtools, he used to have the bench, which is almost the full width of the garage, on the floor but they brought a new car about 2 years ago. His old car was a small one but the new one is an estate it fits in width wise with a couple of feet to spare but is only 6 inches shorter than the garage. He didnt want to get rid of the bench and had no where else to put it so he decided to hang it from the ceiling.

The bench is about 8' long and 3' wide and is solidlly built. The garage is brick walls with wood roof joists, look very similar to yours. The only problem he had was that the joists were in the wrong place so he put cross braces in to hang the bench from. He now uses an electric winch to raise and lower it but he used to use a hand one like THIS or THIS

When he wants to use it the car goes in the drive and he lowers it down when finished he raises it up and the bonnet of the car goes underneath it. He did say he was a bit wary of it falling on the car at first but it has been there for about 2 years now and he has never had any problems.

If you were to do this with your table saw you could then put the lathe along the side wall where you originally intended and then just lower the saw when you need it.

john

Here is the tablesaw John.
Unfortuneately my garage is not brick built but a pre-fab one,and i wouldn't have the height to do this.If tried this it would probably pull the roof down :shock:
Though i have often thought about heisting smaller things up in the air,machines that is. :wink:

Back