Help with bench.Any ideas??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, Sand cement mortar mix will be fine, just leave it a couple of days to set well before you start impact drilling for the bench fixings. (or drill the holes in the top blocks before building them in) As the span of 'wall' is minimal and little or no chance of settlement movement having to be accommodated then make it a strong mix.
Your bench top will tie the top of the two pillars, and if you can incorporate a slim cupboard underneath the door framing will tie the front.
(you could use a concrete lintel between the two pillars to dampen the bench if you have one lying around the yard :lol: )

With your variable speed you should be able to find a sweet spot easier without the harmonics of the bench top joining in the chorus.

HI Paul

An idea for a movable bench for you.

I made a couple of these for the club, the wooden blocks at each end fold down and make the feet when in use. We also put bags of gravel or heavy blocks on the shelf for stability.

john

Thanks for the piccy John. :D
I have built me workbench on castors (Norm style) you can see one of the castors on the right front.
Doing it this way would still give me the problem on finding space for it.
I think it would have to be as Duncan says with the Nova style legs so leaving the middle area free.

Chas, will a single line of blocks be sufficent :?:
EDIT-Lying flat down.
I know Trev's was 18" square which would be a lot more stable.

Paul.J":gpf2mr32 said:
....Chas, will a single line of blocks be sufficent :?:
EDIT-Lying flat down.....
Paul that would be a super job if you have that many blocks spare, no stability problems at all for that height.

It might be a good idea to put some PVA in the mortar mix if you are using the blockwork solution. I always remember being told by an old brickie that "the mortar's not there to hold the bricks together, lad, it's to keep 'em apart" :eek:

dickm":27yf8q7m said:
It might be a good idea to put some PVA in the mortar mix if you are using the blockwork solution. I always remember being told by an old brickie that "the mortar's not there to hold the bricks together, lad, it's to keep 'em apart" :eek:

Dick, I would guess you've never spent a couple of days trying to dress strong cement mortar off a couple of thousand bricks :lol:

CHJ":1zavcpaa said:
Dick, I would guess you've never spent a couple of days trying to dress strong cement mortar off a couple of thousand bricks :lol:
Oh yes I have! But remember the law of Sod - when you want to get the stuff off, it won't come. When you want it to stay put.......

Thanks for the tip DickM
I will be doing the block pillar idea.Just got to get another half dozen blocks and a bag of cement tomorrow.
I forgot that i have got to go longer with the bench,so i won't be able to secure the lathe to the pillars :roll:
So would it still be o.k to fix the bench top to the pillars and the lathe to the bench top.
Also what would be best to use for the top,ply,mdf or something else :?:

Paul.J":lh68xb1v said:
Thanks for the tip DickM
I will be doing the block pillar idea.Just got to get another half dozen blocks and a bag of cement tomorrow.
I forgot that i have got to go longer with the bench,so i won't be able to secure the lathe to the pillars :roll:
So would it still be o.k to fix the bench top to the pillars and the lathe to the bench top.
Also what would be best to use for the top,ply,mdf or something else :?:

Bench to pillars is fine Paul, for preference I use thick MDF, somewhat cheaper and possibly does not resonate as much as ply. You can always run a couple of 4X2's under it.

dickm":lh68xb1v said:
...Oh yes I have! But remember the law of Sod - when you want to get the stuff off, it won't come. When you want it to stay put.......
:lol:

Just an update for those interested.
I have now gone with Chas's other idea that he gave me,and am now going to try 2"x1" box steel frame legs bolted to the floor,wall and bench top.
I made a dry run with the concrete blocks i had,and it was still going to be too tight.
So i decided to take away the top middle section of ply from the wall and cut away what i needed to on the lower section.
This gave me another 4-1/2" plus i cut 1-1/2" off the existing bench,giving me 6" in total.
Using the box steel is now leaving more room for the car,and still been able to lower the bench height so i don't have to stand on a 3" duckboard, and i might even be able to put some drawers under the bench top or a small cupboard.Just got to wait for the frames to be made up.
I have also taken out the right hand window and replaced it with 3/4" ply
giving me more wall space behind the lathe.
So thanks for all the input,i think it will be a lot better for me when finished:D

Latest posts

Back