Help with a loft ladder and hatch, please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAUL_TDI

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been in my house for a year and we have been making do with a manky step ladder the previous owners left behind as with a new lad money has been too tight for such luxuries as easy loft access.

But yesterday I snapped up an old ladder for a mere 12 quid. Only problem with 2nd hand ladders is no instructions!

Had anyone seen this model before?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easyway-Gravi ... 1456063337

At the moment my loft hatch is just a board that rests on beaming around the "neck" of the hole. So when going into the loft you lift the hatch and just move it into the loft somewhere. Whats the best hardware to use to convert the hatch to a downward opening hatch?

Here's a couple of pics to try and explain my ramblings....

Hi,
Had the same setup as you, made the entrance larger & converted it using one of these latches (same but not from Amazon) when the loft is closed you see nothing from below when you need to open it using a pole or the hook that comes with the ladders just push lightly upwards and the cover comes downwards guiding it with the pole/hook, closing just push up and the latch catches, perfect =D> Current ladder was in place when I moved in but in the past I have bought from B&Q ( :oops: ) but they have always been reliable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOFT-DOOR-TOUCH ... rid_pt_0_0

Can post photo's of mine if it helps

Regards,

Keith

Thanks for the help.

I did a quick search on screwfix they only sell those latches in packs of 10!

I have the ladder now which seems like a very basic one compared to what my old house had (rented so couldn't take it with).

I don't have a control/release pole for the ladder so might get a broomstick to use.

I'll have to find some suitable hinges to use.

PAUL_TDI":1wyrt5vu said:
Thanks for the help.

I did a quick search on screwfix they only sell those latches in packs of 10!

I have the ladder now which seems like a very basic one compared to what my old house had (rented so couldn't take it with).

I don't have a control/release pole for the ladder so might get a broomstick to use.

I'll have to find some suitable hinges to use.

You only need a coulpe of standard butt hinges

Thanks for the name, don't have a clue what the different hinges are called.

Ordered a pair of 4" hinges and a latch from a ebay seller for a fiver. BnQ wanted £5-50 for 1 latch, madness!

Hemsby, those pics are great, would you mind adding another couple of how the hinges sit/attach to the hatch and the "hole". Cheers.

PAUL_TDI":han1mxhk said:
Hemsby, those pics are great, would you mind adding another couple of how the hinges sit/attach to the hatch and the "hole". Cheers.

Will do, in the morning :)

Unfortunately far too expensive for me busy builder, that's why I'll make do with a old 2nd hand ladder.

Thanks hemsby.

B&Q sell ABRU Brand Loft Ladders £50-£155 depending on the height of your ceiling and if you need 2 or 3 sections (to fit into the loft space also check that the max load capacity is suitable for you and anything heavy you my try to get up in the loft (Grannies old piano! :lol: )

I am not an expert in ladder installation but have fitted several of the ABRU in my many moves and as I said never had a problem, I am no light weight.

Have you decided against fitting the new loft cover :?: or would you still like pics of the hinge location :?: You could fit the ladder another time.

Regards,

Keith

Sorry I think I waffled on too much originally.

I have bought that ebay ladder, I picked it up last night. Bit mucky but absolute steal for £11.50

The pictures are a great help to guide me on how to convert my currently loft hatch into a hinged door for ladder installation. The hinge pictures would still be a great help thankyou.

PAUL_TDI":1ev9lxb7 said:
Sorry I think I waffled on too much originally.

I have bought that ebay ladder, I picked it up last night. Bit mucky but absolute steal for £11.50

The pictures are a great help to guide me on how to convert my currently loft hatch into a hinged door for ladder installation. The hinge pictures would still be a great help thankyou.

Hi,

As you can see I did not bother to recess the hinges in both the frame and hatch cover, (lazy) The cover is 3/8" MDF with 2x1 battern glued & pinned.

Hope the pics help.

Well it's only been a month but I now have a fully working loft hatch and ladder.

The hardware arrived quickly and The loft hatch was converted to hinged opening on June 14th which is when I also discovered the ladder I bought was useless as the mounting point was fixed and the first stage of the ladder was too long to fold up into the loft.

So Dad to the rescue, he took my shabby ladder to use/sell and gave me the great 3 section, sliding mounting point ladder out the house he rents as he locks off the loft to tenants anyways.

I had to raise the mounting point with a bit of 1"x1" to clear the loft hatch more comfortably but it's all working very well.

Note to self for next time...... No need for 4" monster hinges for a little loft hatch.

Few pics...

Not the neatest job but it's done and it works which is the main thing. The paint on the hatch door will be sorted when we decorate as the walls on the landing are badly damaged from the move and also having a step ladder lent there for a while.

Nice one =D>

See you went the whole way with the hand rails :) Don't think it will be long before they are in the shed waiting to be used for something else :-#

Always found them to be a pain when getting things up and down #-o Just put a cushion on the floor at the bottom for a soft landing :lol:

Regards

Latest posts

Back