Help required Kity table saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo8604

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to find someone selling a big Kity table saw on Gumtree for a tenner!

Naturally I snapped it up and am going to set about refurbing it, it has a bit of rust on the cabinet which I'm going to clear off with a bit of wire wool and maybe repaint and the table going do with a bit of a clean up however it does appear to be missing a rip fence..... does anyone know of a supplier I could buy a replacement from?

i would look at making a beismeier type fence. You will need to look at removing the lip on the table, but this is quite straightforward to do and will allow you to bolt an angle iron and box section support for it to run against. You will end up with a far superior fence to the original.

Well done! must be find of the week, and last week too!
+1 As Marcros says above
You'd be unlikely to find a fence, what is the model number, or a pic would be helpful.
Regards Rodders

I'll upload a pic tonight with model no, it does have some angle iron already bolted to the front (which I had to remove to fit in the car. I'm new to this so any advice will be gratefully accepted!

Steve

I have you DVD. I'm embarrassed to ask but does it show an alternative fence?

Must dig it out and have a look. As said above the Kity 419 fence could do with upgrading.

It does not flow along the rails and takes a bit of jiggling to get it to the right place.

Mick

Yes it does! I used a 50x25 section in the film. If I did it again I'd use a 50x75m section, but apart from that I would not change anything. It slides as smoothly and locks as firmly as the Xcalibur fence does. It's not expensive to make, and the parts are easily available. The most expensive part is the toggle clamp, and even that is a lot less expensive now than when I made mine.

This is the little fella!

It is a little tired looking and could do with a bit of a clean and a fresh coat of paint. I believe it is a 618

IMAG0891.jpg

I haven't got the table saw DVD yet, it's something I will get around to getting once I've organised the workshop and built my workbench

Tip: Toolstation sell Flag brand paint. After a lot of mucking about I think that it's better than Hammerite.

They do a smooth green that's close to (slightly darker than) the Kity colour. Chemical strip; sand back/repair any really manky bits (flash rust is OK - actually acts as a key to the paint); do the whole panel flat if possible (to avoid sags, which are a right PITA with metal paints); really, really wait weeks before re-coating (they mean that bit!).

Solvent is Xylene for clean up afterwards (Toolstation again). TBH, I usually use disposable brushes for metal paint these days, but brushes can clean up OK - it's just the fumes! Jam-jars stay in the (outside) back porch - its also really flammable stuff.

Flag's water-based "rust converter" is pretty good but can't be used underneath water-based paints (just in case you were tempted!). Sister-in-law used to sell base chemistry to Flag and reckons they're good (well she would), but honestly I agree.

Hammerite used to say their paint didn't need a rust converter. I think that's true if you're using it in warm and dry (i.e. arid) conditions, but the bottom of that cabinet looks as though it's been in a flood for a month.

I assume you know the trick of drilling paintbrushes just below where the handle joins the head: insert a bit of heavy wire, and they'll hang in a jam jar with the bristles well off the bottom, so the paint falls off by gravity and the brush gets reasonably clean. I don't recommend wrapping in a plastic bag. It works for water- and oil-based paints, but Xylene escapes and the brush hardens off anyway.

Nice saw mind. Not saying I'm jealous. Me? Never. Not a bit... :mrgreen:

E.

PS: I think Kity used an evostik-type of contact adhesive to stick the logo strips on. Xylene will dissolve it, but it will also dissolve the logos - lift the edge of the logo strip v. gently with a penknife and let some run in under by capillary action, wait a short while and it ought to loosen off.

Eric The Viking":31qxhxng said:
Tip: Toolstation sell Flag brand paint. After a lot of mucking about I think that it's better than Hammerite.

They do a smooth green that's close to (slightly darker than) the Kity colour.
Thanks for the heads up, I was looking for a close match without much success (mind I was looking at spray paints).

I rubbed a bit of the rust down this morning before I set off for work, It came off quite easily (the paint certainly flaked off pretty easily too). I saw a post from a member who had a go at making one of Steve's fence & rail system and it looks pretty straight forward, it looks like I'm going to go down that route.

It appears that someone has used the table top as a work surface to spray stencils as there is a light misting of paint, any ideas what to use to remove it without being too aggressive to the surface?

Start off with white spirit. If no luck, try Xylene (Acetone is nicer to work with if you can get it), with a bit of fine wire wool used gently. Both latter are very flammable (and Xylene is carcinogenic), so outdoors is best.

I think the table is alloy, so it's a bit softer than cast iron, so go gently, and I'd steer clear of actual paint strippers.

Mop up with kitchen towel and then wax with Liberon machine wax (which will also lift the overspray as it has thinners in it). Briwax (solvent sort) also works as a lubricant, just not as well.

Back