Help please - over centre catches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been let down really badly by the supplier of the catches shown here (edit - I think I've managed to attch the pic correctly now!).

Small draw latch.jpg

I need a high quality brass over centre latch for a large conservatory bench that is made in 3 parts, the latches will be used in conjunction with brass dowels to hold the sections together so that it can be quickly dismantled to move in sections allowing access to the windows behind.

I failed to find exactly what I was looking for so I went down the route of trying to buy these with the supplier arranging to strip the chrome plating back to the brass. They are now feeding me a sob story after many weeks of chasing that their plating supplier is under new management and keeps messing up the order. I am not in the business of feeding my customer excuses like this so I'm on the hunt for an alternative.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a supplier of decent quality, solid brass, overcentre latches, preferably without any fussy decoration on them?

Attachments

• Small draw latch.jpg
    Small draw latch.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for the pointers chaps;

I looked at Protex when I was searching initially, they seem to be more industrial than I need.

I saw the Rutlands ones on the Lee Valley website but wasn't aware anyone was importing them, expensive as you say especially as I need 4 of them! Also, I'm not entirely convinced by the design, with only 2 screws on each side there is very little to resist the strong sideways pull induced by closing the catch. It looks like they would soon end up working loose.

Try Isaac Lord, Comyn-Ching or a good chandlers
Have you considered hidden fasteners? things like coffin locks and butt joint panel fasteners - finish isn't vital as only a small hole for an allen key shows
Matt

Back