Help Needed With Wood Oil Finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettyvacant

Reaction score
Hello All, am new here and need some advice on wood oils...

Ok so, I've made four folding tables to be used outside for a local chi chi little deli/cafe. The folding frames are in Oak and the table tops I've made from reclaimed Victorian Pine Floorboards. I joined four 3m long floorboards together for the tops, the tables all have connectors also, so that two, three or all four can be joined together if required and since they are all cut from the same boards, all the grain matches up when they're connected. I stained the tops with Colron (American Walnut) Wood Dye and have, so far, put two coats of Fiddes High Build Exterior Wood Oil on all of them. Now, here's the problem, to make them a little more distinctive and also look more interesting when they're all connected up, I would like to pick out one of the boards to stain a little darker. I've tried just mixing some of the (spirit based) Colron Wood Dye with some of the Fiddes Oil, mixed and went on ok but its just not drying (no. I didn't test it beforehand...took a gamble, failed) I gave it three days and still tacky, but luckily was able to clean it off with white spirit...so am back where I started.

My question is what can I use to make one board darker? Bear in mind that the tops already have two coats of Fiddes on and will need one more finishing coat of oil to go on once I've darkened the single board on each top. If I used say, Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain would that go on ok over the Fiddes? And could I still put the Fiddes final coat over the Osmo? All advice and suggestions are very much appreciated, the Osmo is just an idea, if you can suggest something else that would work then please do, really need to finish these things asap...

Have attached some photos and quickly photoshopped one to show how I'd like it to look with a darker board...

Cheers, Chris

Oiled-Folding-Table2.jpg
Oiled-Folding-Table1.jpg
Oiled-Stained-Folding-Table1.jpg

Attachments

• Oiled-Folding-Table2.jpg
    Oiled-Folding-Table2.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Oiled-Folding-Table1.jpg
    Oiled-Folding-Table1.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Oiled-Stained-Folding-Table1.jpg
    Oiled-Stained-Folding-Table1.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,071
an oil based gel stain put on as a glaze might be suitable. never used it, but read about it in a finishing book.

Thanks for that Marcros, Oil Based Gel Stain could be the answer, after a v.quick look online I reckon the stain would go on ok (after a light sanding so it takes better) but does anyone know if I could then apply the Fiddes Oil over the top of the Gel Stain? Anyone else have any other options to think about?

Cheers, Chris

Back