Help needed, Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I intend to make four 4"X36" collums of a mahogany type wood. They will be fluted and then split down their length to form four 2"X2" quadrants. My question is about splitting them. I know you do this by making paper joints between the four pices of 2"X2" wood to form the 4"X4" pice that will be turned to 4" Dia. collum. Firstly, what paper should I use? Can I use normal paper, the sort that is used in a printer or photo copier, of would thicker paper such as cartridge paper (the stuff used for sketching)be better?
Secondly, what glue is best. I normally use PVA, but is this too strong? would it work better if I watered it down or would this make it sink further into the paper and stop and stop the paper separating when I split the the collum?
Has anyone done this sort of job?

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul, I watched a video on this yesterday. They used brown paper and titebond original.

Video is here (look under 'skills' and then 'split turning')

IIRC, when Norm did it, he used ordinary printer paper.

Thanks Simon

Tried to see the video, but I think you must be a subscriber to FW to get it. Have put an order in to Axminster for the glue.

Thanks again

Paul

I did these half columns using 80gsm copy paper and PVA, sharp tap of a 1" chisel will pop the bit apart, used sapele if I remember rightly.

Jason

Only done one split turning but I was told to screw small square pieces of wood to the ends of the prepared split blank (with the grain at right angles to the blank). The purpose being to stop the wedging action of the drive or the revolving centre from splitting the turning whilst it's on the lathe.

Might be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist because the guy in the video doesn't do it but it made sense to me.

Cheers

Grahame

Thanks for all your advice.
Grahame, I will use your tip.
Jason, had a look at all your photos, hope you don't think I am too nosey!! Really liked the the radiator cover with the bookcase above.

Latest posts

Back