Help need to date book.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old woodworking book that used to be my grandads, but i've no idea of the age of it. It's 'The practical woodworker' by Bernard E. Jones.
Also on the spine it says 'The art and practice of woodworking vol1'

It's fascinating to look through, almost makes me want to grow a moustache, i think it must have been compulsory then, for dust extraction or something :lol:

matt1245-Dsci1105edit.jpg

matt1245-Dsci1106edit.jpg

Anyone any idea how old it is? Might be one for ALF.

Thanks.

Matt.

HI Mat
How you tried google, as I have tried and it seem to have been printed in the first half of the 20th century.
That was on the second page I think but it has also been re-printed :)

Found an america site that has it for $100 and it says to was printed in the 30's if that helps :)

Hi Colin, have just tried google now and found plenty of info. Didn't try it at first because i have been googling all day about various things and got nowhere :x

Think this one must be a pretty early edition, but there's no dates at all in it.

Matt.

Try googling 30's cloths and see if you can date it that way, might be your best bet :)
Time to go to bed me thinks :)

She's already go it. And volumes two, three and four... :wink: Mine is the same edition, and similarly without a date. Although judging by the projects, including war memorial boards for churches, I think it's just after WW1 - 1920s. It's a bit of a galoot favourite, well the abridged reprint is anyway. If you fancy making up the set I happened across vols 2, 3 & 4 here. Bit pricey though.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the pointer to the reprint Alf, looks fascinating on its way here :)

Back