Help - my quill's stuck!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effigy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a problem with my Nova Lathe. I wound the tailstock quill out further than I intended and it came out. I inserted it back in and wound it back, but it only turns a few times then sticks.

Any suggestions?

Please...... :oops:

Does the barrel not have a grub screw running in a keyway to prevent it turning and coming out as yours has?

If it has, check that the grub screw is completely released and try again.

It could be that it is fouling the inner end of the barrel.

When resetting such grub screws it is sometimes necessary to add a second backing screw to lock them from vibrating loose.

i'm not a nova user but it sounds as though the thread is quite right - my first thought would be take it out again then reinsert and wind it back in while applying gentle pressure to the fromt with the palm of one hand - it ought to wind right back in.

if not you could try lightly greasing the threads

beyond that i'm not sure , but i guess a nova user could give further advice if necessary

CHJ":4fswj46h said:
Does the barrel not have a grub screw running in a keyway to prevent it turning and coming out as yours has?

If it has, check that the grub screw is completely released and try again.

It could be that it is fouling the inner end of the barrel.

When resetting such grub screws it is sometimes necessary to add a second backing screw to lock them from vibrating loose.

Its not so much a grub screw as a pin that looks set into the tailstock. I dont think I can remove it easily.

i'm not a nova user but it sounds as though the thread is quite right - my first thought would be take it out again then reinsert and wind it back in while applying gentle pressure to the fromt with the palm of one hand - it ought to wind right back in.

if not you could try lightly greasing the threads

I tried pushing it in as I wound it back, but it still sticks after a few turns :(

Effigy":1824r6lv said:
Its not so much a grub screw as a pin that looks set into the tail-stock. I don't think I can remove it easily.

Can you see the pin protruding inside the tail-stock barrel?
If so can you get something down the barrel? a tapered piece of hardwood for instance to push it further out of the way.

(you may have to remove the hand wheel retaining collar/assembly)

Evenin' Frank.

Sounds like the buffer pad which locks the quill has dropped a little.

Unscrew the top locking knob and look inside the hole. There should be a small metal pad at the bottom. This has a machined straight section which fits into the slot on the top of the quill. 1/ It stops the quill rotating, 2/ It stops any damage to the quill when you lock it.

Slide your finger into the quill hole and push this pad upwards into the threaded hole, if it slips back down push a small blob of grease into the hole to hold it. Slide the quill back in, when in and threaded on a few threads, rotate the quill while pushing the small pad back down to locate it into the slot on the quill top.

Fit the locking knob back and all should be well. (He says hopefully.)

Thank you gentlemen, thank you!

You don't know how lucky it is that the explanation came out as it did, I frequently confuse myself trying to explain something to some one. Ain't luck a grand thing! :roll: :-({|=

TEP":39k1ott9 said:
Evenin' Frank.

Sounds like the buffer pad which locks the quill has dropped a little.

Unscrew the top locking knob and look inside the hole. There should be a small metal pad at the bottom. This has a machined straight section which fits into the slot on the top of the quill. 1/ It stops the quill rotating, 2/ It stops any damage to the quill when you lock it.

Slide your finger into the quill hole and push this pad upwards into the threaded hole, if it slips back down push a small blob of grease into the hole to hold it. Slide the quill back in, when in and threaded on a few threads, rotate the quill while pushing the small pad back down to locate it into the slot on the quill top.

Fit the locking knob back and all should be well. (He says hopefully.)

That fixed it! =D>

Thank you very much (and to everyone else who offered help) :D

Back