help info needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn2

Established Member
Reaction score
:D while at yandells yesterday I saw a set of wood snips with a miter gauge on them I think they were used to do framing edging etc, they were on the bessey stand.

And like a fool :oops: I through they would be useful then went off. Well as usual yes I could really do with a pair but carn't find any reference to them.

If any one can shead some light on it then please do so, thanking eveyone as usual

martyn :D

I've seen them in catalogs. Lee Valley comes to mind. I've never used them but they look like a pair of pruning shears and I'm suspicious of how well they cut. G'luck.

You can probably use them reasonably effectively as long as you only take very very thin slices. Even the mitre cutters like Lion will on take small pieces at a time.

Maybe you could find a used Morso-F for chopping mitres. I used one of them in a picture framing shop I worked in. You couldn't saw a nicer, more accurate mitre than that thing could chop.
http://www.tech-mark.com/morso-f.htm

morsof-reg.jpg

Hi Martyn,

The shears are available from Hydleman 01756 798625 www.hydleman.co.uk

They are more for plumbers are shears for the plastic pipes they use, and also ideal for double glazing work for cutting the gaskets and glazing wedge.
I looked at them a few months ago, and I thought they were not too bad, (I cut oak sapele and cherry I think) but because the blade profile is wedge shaped, it doaes try to force the timber away as it slices, so it may not come together as tight as it should on a mitre for example, so not ideal for cabinetry or work that will show.
Softer timbers are easier to keep tight to the blade for a squarer cut, so beading on painted doors etc could be an ideal use.

Cheers,
Andy

:D thanks Andy all I am going to cuting is balsa wood a bit easer than a modeling knife for those angles.

Martyn

Back