Help finding hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordonK

Reaction score
I have just built a jewlery box out relatively heavy wenge wood (w-330 l-140 d-125) but I am having a nightmare finding decorative hinges, small enough to fit but strong enough to take the weight of the lid. I've tried the usual places like issaclords and rutlands, feel like I've searched most of the net if I'm honest. Can anyone suggest anywhere or any ideas at all! Would be very much appreciated.

They do look great and definitely a site I will be visiting in future, but Im looking for something surface mounted, decorative enough to be a feature. I have inlaid a butterfly on the top in various light woods, and a copper butterfly escutcheon on the front so naturally looked for butterfly hinges, however the designs I found were either hideous or gate furniture. Looked at decorative strap hinges too with similar results. Thanks for the link.

Yeah sure, though it's not fantastic, specialy compard to some of the things on here. Also, everything I build is in a hut in a Carpark where I'm an attendant. Anyway I shall upload some pictures now.

GordonK":1na0pl3x said:
I can't upload them at the moment, I can email if you want.

You should be able to upload photo's after three posts Gordon,

I think you are going to have trouble finding decent butterfly hinges, I have been searching for decent butterfly hinges for a long time, they are always pressed brass plated things, if you can find some real brass ones then the best you can do is polish them up with some Brasso, vigorous and extended rubbing on a piece of old towel will get rid of the roughness and get them looking quite passable then some metal lacquer to keep the shine.
There is the possibility of making your own wooden hinges, I am sure there are old posts on here, this is one with some info on wooden hinges plus some other stuff.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f246/box-bits-114898/
or just do a search for 'making wooden hinges' and see what comes up.

Andy

Latest posts

Back