help connecting a 3 phase machine up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,
i am currently buying a few 3 phase machines and i need a little advise on what i require (electrical) to connect the machines.

it will be going from a 3 phase dist. board, i will be using armoured 4 core 4mm cable.
now im not to sure what the machine needs to connect to as it has a cable coming from the machine.

i suspect that i will have to put a iscolator switch on the wall that both the machine cable and dist. board cable run into.

am i correct?

Male plug on the wiring from the machine, female socket on the wall below an isolator switch

Get an electrician!!

Some machines are phase specific but all the wires are black, like everyone else says get the sparky round.

You can get 3-phase plugs/sockets - The have five pins for the three phases, neutral and Earth. You say you're using four-core cable - Presumably the armour acts as the conductor for Earth.

ea30_1.JPG

Fecn":dl23dqcp said:
You can get 3-phase plugs/sockets - The have five pins for the three phases, neutral and Earth. You say you're using four-core cable - Presumably the armour acts as the conductor for Earth.

ea30_1.JPG

The plug you have in the picture is not suitable for SWA, unless you intend to move the machines around there is no need or justification in using a plug/socket. You need to fit an isolator on the wall and connect into the isolator but I would advise getting a qualified electrician to sort - and not a kitchen fitter with part P.

Hi You can get both 4 pin and 5 pin three phase plugs and sockets. The 4 pin ones just have the 3 phases and earth and no neutral. Most woodworking machinery doesnt need a neutral so you should be able to use the 4 core cable and plug and socket if you want. I would recommend having an isolator rather than a plug and socket. I would also recommend getting it sorted by a qualified electrician or a the very least getting an electrician to check your wiring before powering up.

Jon

depending on the machinery you may need starter - most things will have starter/overload built in but some items might not, most likely fixed items like fans etc

Back