Help colouring oak to match fireplace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewi

Established Member
Reaction score
Gods own personal Garden - Pembrokeshire Wales
My daughter purchased this fireplace for just short of four hundred quid (mad??) anyway I built the hearth and tiled the hearth and the walls - a you can probably see the rh side leg is 3/4" longer than the LH side - it is basically as rough as a badgers a**e - the filling between the timber is cement and some holes are also filled with it :( but she loves it so what can one do - now on top of the mantlepiece is a piece of oak the surface of which I have wire brushed then pressure washed then more wire brushing until it's clean
MVC-456S.jpg
[/img]
MVC-458S.jpg

MVC-459S.jpg

MVC-460S.jpg

now the "tragic" bit :roll: I have to get the oak the same colour as the rest of the [strike]trainwreck[/strike] fireplace - it has to be there because (1) it hides the tiles protruding from the top (2) to hide the 0-1.5" taper that shows along the tiles where the thing is twisted

then I have a slab of Beech that is 4" thick 30" wide 6' long that I have to get the hearth slab surround out of - she likes this because both the long edges are curved and gnarled and knotted (yet nice and smooth) this also has to match the fireplace when finished - but these faces have hundreds of wormholes that I have treated but now need to fill before staining/colouring and I dont know what to use for this - any help would be much appreciated

Fill the wormholes!!? It's like turning up at the blitz with a trowel and some cement.

John

Personally, I'd head to the nearest architectural/timber recycling yard and look for a suitable piece of "rustic" Oak to match. You could probably find a piece to build up the foot on the short leg at the same time.

moz":10j13fxr said:
Fill the wormholes!!? It's like turning up at the blitz with a trowel and some cement.

John

I even considered knocking cocktail sticks in and cutting them off - once she has it in her brain it's what she wants I cant change it -

I pleaded with her not to leave it much longer before her and her other half have a bairn, 8 years I have been waiting for this magic event - so what does she do?

buys THIS instead

1-50.jpg

so it can sit on my lap when I am up there :evil:

Tony Spear":27fohuny said:
Personally, I'd head to the nearest architectural/timber recycling yard and look for a suitable piece of "rustic" Oak to match. You could probably find a piece to build up the foot on the short leg at the same time.

I don't think there is one anywhere near us - will ask Digit :lol:

I think it's going to be impossible to make an extra piece of wood match enough.
Maybe a better way to go would be to lift the whole thing so that the existing top piece of wood is high enough to cover the tile edge.

You could do this by putting blocks under the splayed feet, and they could be brick/tile/cement coloured some neutral shade.

You'd mostly be looking down on the feet, whereas the top is at eye line.

Andy

AndyT":37ugrutb said:
I think it's going to be impossible to make an extra piece of wood match enough.
Maybe a better way to go would be to lift the whole thing so that the existing top piece of wood is high enough to cover the tile edge.

You could do this by putting blocks under the splayed feet, and they could be brick/tile/cement coloured some neutral shade.

You'd mostly be looking down on the feet, whereas the top is at eye line.

Andy

but then the 0-1.5" gap along the back shows

You have my condolences, whatever you end up choosing you may need to distress it with a chisel and wire brush.

400 quid though, can you tell her I have some snake oil that she may be interested in purchasing :D

bluezephyr & andypo

thanks a lot for your helpful advice - with both of you being from Norfolk (as I am - (was born in Sheringham)) it's no more than I would have expected from you both - luckily I got out of there aged four and have lived in beautiful Cymru ever since

Back