Bog oak coffee table (Finished.....photo heavy).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work Mike that's a beautiful table.
Happy to see what the brass powder was used for, that's a nice effect and adds another dimension to the bog oak.

Very nice indeed. You'll have plenty time now to get that staircase made before :ho2 :deer :deer :deer appears (hammer)

whiskywill":3mlhcp4j said:
A very nice table but have you noticed that somebody has stolen your skirting boards? :shock:

:lol: :lol:

There were no skirting boards in the original cottage, so I didn't put any in the extension.

MikeG.":1ot68lkz said:
I haven't really thought about that one yet Pete, but I suspect it would be taller and "lighter" (ie slim legs, slim apron, slimmer top), maybe without a drawer. I've got a staircase to make first, but I'll open the conversation about the side table with my wife this evening.

Single draw would be good, make an invisable one, one that just looks like a rail but you can open it by hooking your fingers underneath the edge and pulling.

Pete

Racers":gxlq72q7 said:
MikeG.":gxlq72q7 said:
I haven't really thought about that one yet Pete, but I suspect it would be taller and "lighter" (ie slim legs, slim apron, slimmer top), maybe without a drawer. I've got a staircase to make first, but I'll open the conversation about the side table with my wife this evening.

Single draw would be good, make an invisable one, one that just looks like a rail but you can open it by hooking your fingers underneath the edge and pulling.

Pete

I'd hate that, Pete. Not the look, but what that structure implies. I know how weak legs are, and to know that there was nothing preventing the front ones from racking would give me the heeby jeebies.

Very nice table and the finish is also lovely. Thanks for posting this WIP.

MikeG.":1dn7ffkm said:
Racers":1dn7ffkm said:
MikeG.":1dn7ffkm said:

Pete

I'd hate that, Pete. Not the look, but what that structure implies. I know how weak legs are, and to know that there was nothing preventing the front ones from racking would give me the heeby jeebies.

I would make a normal draw opening with stretchers but with a draw front that covers them.

Pete

Absolutely love it Mike.

Now you've learned how to do it you'll have that side table finished by Christmas ( this year! ) :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Erm......if I were to start another piece of furniture instead of doing the stairs I might just run into a modicum of displeasure from the other half of the design team. I only got the chance to make this because I stuffed my back and couldn't handle the big bits of wood necessary for the staircase.

Lons":3nacx6kd said:
With your experience surely you can bat away a few objections from the boss. :wink:

Howzat going to work?

:wink:

Pete

No, the stairs are the priority, without a doubt. In fact, although there will be a lot more machining, I can't wait to get on with them.

A really great build with plenty of pictures and everything well explained. Enjoyed watching this unfold and learned something along the way.
Regards
John

Very elegant and unique, and the colours are beautiful - even with the camera flash.

Great to see your WIP as well, thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks fella, much appreciated.

Now, you get the choice of blurry because of an extremely slow shutter speed, or glary and colour-distorted because of flash.......but I added some dome headed brass screws to the handles:

hSrohf7.jpg

wpqleab.jpg

The table top is back out in the workshop for the continuation of the finish regime.

I think I still prefer the simplicity of just the carved strap pulls on their own. The extra bits distract from their elegant shape and look too much like something off a suitcase, in my opinion, but I know how hard it is to get this sort of detail right. And looking at it close up on a screen is not the same as seeing it across a room.

Back