Help choosing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm ready to buy a 10" planer /thicknesser and i've been set on the axminster aw106pt for some time.But i have since found 3 more candidates the lyndhurst woodworking one,the 10"xcalibur and a fox F22-568.They've all got small differences and i can't make up my mind :? .
I'm also a bit concerned about man handling the heavy machine into place :shock: and it will have to end up on wheels at some point.So as this is just a hobby, at the other end of the scale i've got the perform model ,cheaper and also (mainly)lighter!.
Any pointers,help would be appreciated.
Thank's.

So far.........

Lyndhurst,more money but cast iron fence and wheels all ready on. :D xcalibur,everybody raves about their saws and good price. :)
fox,well popular name good machines? and good price. :D
aw106pt,free blades slightly dearer than the above 2 but where it all began :)
perform,cheaper and lighter.lots of people seem happy with them. :)
All the above are 100% option's.

FWIW the AW106 came very highly recommended in a very recent review of P/T's in Furniture and Cabinetmaking - Rob

the lyndhurst has a 2hp motor over teh 1.5 that all the other models own. Plus the CI fence and wheel kit, it makes a slightly better machine.

I'm just waiting to view the machine in a few weeks then i'll be purchasing this one.

LyNx":4rzmhpji said:
the lyndhurst has a 2hp motor over teh 1.5 that all the other models own.

That could easily be specsmanship.

Plus the CI fence and wheel kit, it makes a slightly better machine.

Depends on how good they are - there are more factors than CI or not. The wheel kit might be useless like Scheppach's (though I doubt it could be that bad).

I'm just waiting to view the machine in a few weeks then i'll be purchasing this one.

Very sensible - I'd view as many as you can and try and get a go if you can.

I always remember being very surprised after doing a similar specification compare on 450/500mm bandsaws just how my perception altered after seeing a load of them in the flesh and poking around inside to look at the running gear etc. Two of top three went out of the window because bits that aren't in the specs looked flimsy, one that was nowhere on paper shot up to near to the top.

The sales man at lyndhurst said i should be able to wheel the machine up the drive!.The front wheel looks big enough but the rear is on feet ,so i presume there's roller's under there somewhere.Thing is if the the roller's are 1"dia. then i don't think they will take much jamming.Also about the c.i fence will it have to be lifted off to tilt the bed's,how heavy will it be?.
The fox is a 2hp motor and a very good price.Apparently it superseeds the 565 at rutlands.
I saw the review of the aw106pt in the mag ,good review but....i don't know the fox look's better some how.(Just bought the aw induction sliding saw so i like aw range).
Unfortunatly i won't be able to see any in the flesh,so i'll just have to trust to luck and any help off here.I can't lie the wheel's are a big draw.

I have old Scheppach HMS260 has done sterling work,thinking of changing it.Looking at new version HMS2600CI, 10" machine for approx £850 or the Jet 310 that has been reduced in price approx £1000.Both seem good,might be worth you considering? I think Scheppach do wheel kit for HMS2600CI.But the Jet is much heavier!Scheppach pride themselves on the Finish due to rubber feed rollers.

Back