Help! Are these sash router cutters correct?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this router cutter set the other day and they've been TOTALLY doing my head in, and I think I've just realised why.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-be ... set-718731

Axminster_Ovolo_00.jpg

What I'm concerned about is this:

• The ovolo cutter has a bearing, this is set 2mm or so back, and so it creates a small shoulder
  • There is no matching shoulder shaped into the scribing cutter
  • Both the other images shown in the product listing on the axminster site show that this shoulder has been cut!
  • Cutting the shoulder yourself using other tools is a lot of extra work
  • Why in God's name would they leave that part of the profile off the scribing cutter - what possible reason is there for this?

Here are the other product shots from the page in question. I've highlighted the shoulder in question.
In both cases the recess for the shoulder has been cut. What's annoying me is, this cutter isn't actually set up to do it!
Axminster_Ovolo_01b.jpg

Axminster_Ovolo_02b.jpg

This is why I'm boggled - my attempt:

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4010.JPG

If I've bought a rubbish set of cutters, can anyone recommend any that are better.

Attachments

• Axminster_Ovolo_00.jpg
    Axminster_Ovolo_00.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Axminster_Ovolo_01b.jpg
    Axminster_Ovolo_01b.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Axminster_Ovolo_02b.jpg
    Axminster_Ovolo_02b.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4008.jpg
    IMG_4008.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 231
The mortise hole should go in the shoulder finishing right on the edge of the shoulder where the curve starts. For this reason the bottom of the scribe cutter will form the top of the tenon so it does not need or want the step at the bottom.

Hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain, someone more helpful might post a pic. The picture you have put the red circle on is deceiving because the groove you have circled is where the tenon would be sticking out.

I know what I mean but am struggling to put it in to words!

Doug

Just looked at your photo again, traditionally the flat shoulder would be bigger then what you have made, probably half inch wide, the same width as whatever mortise bit you are using as the mortise hole is normally full width of the flat shoulder.

Doug

Hi Doug

I was expecting something like this:

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

In this case, the face of the tenon is formed by the top cut after a shoulder was scribed.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4023.JPG
    IMG_4023.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 221
hey Phil.p

I've used the new Wealden Tool Company ovolo and scribe and they're awesome. I've managed to get my head around the geometry (eventually) and have a perfectly cut test piece that gives me the confidence to have a go in some better wood.

Latest posts

Back