Help an Archaeologist!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richcherr

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am an archaeologist working in the UK. A good deal of my work involves recording historic buildings of 16th to 20th century date, but mostly 19th century. Where i can, i try to involve working craftsmen to aid interpretation, but often this is impractical and uneconomical. my question is: can anyone out there suggest a good entry/intermediate level book which will enable me to identify timber species used in construction and joinery in the buildings i survey? i would be grateful for any suggestions.

many thanks

Richard

Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Terry Porters "Wood identification and use" (ISBN 1-86108-377-7) has about 200 timbers in,so is a useful general-purpose book.
Have seen books listed in the Craftsmans Bookclub on the subject of timber-framed buildings,but haven't got any,so couldn't recommend one.
Hobbithouse is a good online source to help with identification.

Good luck.

Andrew

Richard - my daughter's one of your lot (far too early to attempt to spell it :wink:) and works for Wessex...she's left this morning to go on site at T5 (Heathrow) for the week so will ask her when she gets back at the weekend - Rob

And of course I missed the obvious bit :oops: - they will be nearly all native timbers (oak,ash,sweet chestnut etc.),possibility of some imported timbers for decorative pieces in later,high-status houses.

Andrew (An avid Time Team viewer :wink: )

Following on from that:

What trees that we consider native, are recentish introductions (say last 1000 years), anyone know?

I believe sycamore, horse chestnut are not native?

Regarding old wood generally - I believe Masie ??? at Flag Fen is THE expert. I have a book of hers somewhere.

Native trees are considered to be those that were here after the last ice age (~10,000 yrs ago). There are 33 natives in the UK and for more info check out this good site.

A good introduction to wood anatomy and identification can be found here.

what about the riba library, and also what about the building organisation off tottenham court road?? they both have decent reading and selling lists i think.

paul :wink:

Back