The Criterion No 3 Hatchet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, I inherited a collection of old tools, among them a very rusty and pitted hatchet with a crudely made replacement handle. Last week, I decided to do something about it, so I ordered a new hickory 14" handle for it (still waiting....) and ditched the old one. Derusting in vinegar followed - lots of scrubbing and working rust out of pits with a 3" nail - followed by a good rinse, a soak in bicarbonate of soda solution, rinse, dry and a rub of Renaissance wax.

What I have is a Kent pattern hatchet head of 1 1/4lbs in weight, 3 3/4" wide on the cutting edge, and 6 1/4" from poll to edge (which I'm fairly sure is close to full new length). Stamped on the blade is "The Criterion No3", the words being arranged vertically, "The" above "Criterion" above "No3". The lettering is in plain capitals, sans serif (which suggests 20th century rather than 19th), and 3/16" high. As far as I can tell, it's of one-piece construction; I can't find any evidence of laminating, or of welding a steel edge to a softer body. (I may when I sharpen it, but derusting sometimes shows differences between steel types, and I can detect none.)

Some rummaging on the 'net revealed that William Hunt and Sons (The Brades) used 'Criterion' as one of their trade marks - I think for second-quality tools, but the catalogues I've found so far don't have pattern numbers corresponding to a No3 hatchet. Also, their 1941 catalogue (thanks, Toolemera) suggests they only supplied hatchets starting at 1 1/2lbs, with no reference that I could find to my 1 1/4lb example. Some examples of 'Criterion' branded hatchets surfaced on internet auction sites archives (notably in Australia - is that significant?) but all were wedge pattern, not Kent.

Can anyone shed any further light on possible vintage? Is it of Brades origin, or did they absorb another manufacturer and continue the trademark?

Any information gratefully received!

I agree that your hatchet was probably made by Brades, who did indeed use the Criterion trademark.

It would be much easier if you could upload a photo!

However, there are quite a few catalogues available which I think hold the answer.

This link leads to six catalogues, uploaded by the ever useful Mr Mark Stansbury: https://archive.org/details/internation ... +hunt&sin=

Use the illustrated catalogues from 1934 or 1951 to identify the pattern number of your hatchet, from pictures like this one

BookReaderImages.php

or this

BookReaderImages.php

Then cross reference to a price list such as this

BookReaderImages.php

to see if you can find a pattern number which looks right, is listed under the Criterion name, and was available in the No 3 size. (Admittedly, if it is a Kent Pattern, then 1 1/4 lbs seems a bit light for a No 3 size. Maybe as you suggest, it's a cheaper line of tool, not as heavy as their first quality offering.) The exact answer might not be there - clearly, the range of patterns was huge, and the company traded for a long time.

While you're at it, pause to admire the pride evident in those beautifully printed, expensive catalogues and the story told by the ranges specially made for the Brazilian export market.

Many thanks, Andy! Extra catalogue references greatly appreciated!

Yes - I do accept that my technological limitations regarding the provision of photos do frustrate many, but if you don't possess the necessary equipment, it can't be done, and that's an end to it. Some day I will have to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but as the shock of being dragged into the 20th has barely worn off, it'll have to wait a while yet.

The nearest pattern to my hatchet in any of those catalogues is the 311 Household, but mine is subtly different. It's a little longer in the blade, and the poll ends are square rather than slightly tapered as shown in the catalogues, which makes me think mine may be a wee bit earlier or later than the versions illustrated in the catalogues. It's also stamped "The Criterion" rather than just "Criterion" - I've no idea whether that's significant or not.

I did consider modifying mine into a side axe, but examination shows a definite double bevel (despite the edge being about as blunt as hatchet edges can get!), and to lose it would mean grinding back about 1/2". That seems rather pointless - and a lot of grinding to boot - so I'll just re-handle it and repair the existing bevels. It's badly pitted, but that shouldn't affect a double-bevel tool.

I’ve got a few of those and they are brilliant. They take a great edge, which lasts for ages and Have a really good weight to them as well. I’ve started using green or part-seasoned wood for the handles as it feels much better to my hand.

Back