Help/Advice on Used Woodworking Equipment Updated with Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrW

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a 'quantity' of woodworking machinery and tools which belonged to my late father, and need some help/advice on where to sell them, but more importantly what they might be worth..

The 'larger' equipment includes:

1) Tyme Machines Bristol 17-37 Lathe

2) Naerok HDY-13 Bench Drill

3) Inca Bandsaw, Type 342.198.04

4) Sheppach Prima HMO Planer/Thicknesser

5) Elektra Beckum Dust Extraction SEMK 71-28

6) Robland/Startrite TZ30 Saw Bench/Spindle Moulder

Could someone assist me?

Why not put them in the "for sale " section on this forum with photos and price i am sure members on here would like to see them .....Roger

Thanks Roger.

The biggest 'issue' is that I have no idea what they are worth, hence my request for assistance.

I don't want to rip people off, or be ripped off!

As far as I know, this is all quality equipment.

P.S. Can't reply to your PM, which I guess is because I haven't passed the required amount of posts on the forum yet!

I am sure people on here will give some good advice on priceing take a look on ebay to get some idea on prices you should be able to use pm after a few more posts

You could put them on ebay starting at 99p each and you will get the real market value for them - some will be a pleasant surprise I'm sure. A machine that is worth £1000 delivered is worth a lot less if it has to be collected due to a much smaller potential market so be prepared for the possibility of one of them going for a tenner. Take lots of photos (including the machine plate), turn them on and test they work so you can confirm that in the description and then start them at 99p and find out what they are worth. Otherwise you're basically either going to sell for less than they are worth or be sitting on them for a year because somebody down the pub told you they're worth a price that's unrealistic.

For the fastest and easiest sale list them on here and invite offers, most people wont take the proverbial - so it's an 80/20 solution.

I think that your best approach is to have a look on Ebay as most of these come up with monotonous regularity.

1) Tyme Machines Bristol 17-37 Lathe......Old but sound priced from £90+

2) Naerok HDY-13 Bench Drill....hobby type and OK quality but not great £35+

3) Inca Bandsaw, Type 342.198.04......sought after. may go for £200+

4) Sheppach Prima HMO Planer/Thicknesser....no knowledge

5) Elektra Beckum Dust Extraction SEMK 71-28.....see Ebay current EB dust collection sales say £90+...but only just OK.

6) Robland/Startrite TZ30 Saw Bench/Spindle Moulder.....a rare beast for the hobby worker maybe £450+ to start on Ebay

All prices are my guess/estimate and no one else has assisted.
All guesses and estimates are complete twaddle 5 seconds after posting.

Hope this sort of helps.

Thank you so far, all comments have been most helpful

I have discovered that number 4 is a Scheppach and not Sheppach (my bad!)

I'm guessing that there may be an additional outlet for the numerous hand tools, stanley hand planes, chisels, G clamps, sash clamps etc that I also have...?

I've had a look on eBay, but there isn't much about to compare with, perhaps at the weekend I'll get some pics taken and post them up on the For Sale section here and see what happens.

In the meantime, keep the comments coming!

MrW":z8slpyiq said:
Could someone assist me?
I think you may not have the correct model number here. Tyme made some good lathes, but that model number isn't mentioned in the general reference to the company at http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/

If you can post a photo of it here, I'm sure we can help with more details to assist the correct pricing.
Worth pointing out that any accessories supplied with it can dramatically alter it's value. If it's the bare lathe with no extras it won't get a good price as getting accessories for Tyme lathes is no longer easy. On the other hand if it's complete with all the extras and a good chuck, that will more than double the value. A good set of turning tools may be worth more than the lathe too.

Rhossydd":3d5p92i4 said:
MrW":3d5p92i4 said:
Could someone assist me?
I think you may not have the correct model number here. Tyme made some good lathes, but that model number isn't mentioned in the general reference to the company at http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/

If you can post a photo of it here, I'm sure we can help with more details to assist the correct pricing.
Worth pointing out that any accessories supplied with it can dramatically alter it's value. If it's the bare lathe with no extras it won't get a good price as getting accessories for Tyme lathes is no longer easy. On the other hand if it's complete with all the extras and a good chuck, that will more than double the value. A good set of turning tools may be worth more than the lathe too.

Thank you

I've had a look at that website, and it looks like it might be a 'cub' albeit that my one doesn't say 'cub' on the lathe

Plan is to tidy the workshop up enough to give all the gear a dust down and take some pictures, which, by the sound of it, will help this thread no end...

MrW":1rceyiqa said:
I've had a look at that website, and it looks like it might be a 'cub' albeit that my one doesn't say 'cub' on the lathe
Having seern quite a few on eBay, the labels often seem to have fallen off. The easy differentiator is the belt cover on the left hand side, the Cub has a folded cover that comes right down the front, the Avon has a flat plate with just a small bend on the front.
The Avon would get a better price because of it's bigger capacity.

very important to find any manuals/spares/accessories for the machines - it will make them much easier to sell
for example the inca bandsaw should have a fence - and may have other bits/blades - having those bits and pieces
will double the value as apart from blades spares are made of unobtanium

finish_that":19x9gmsl said:
very important to find any manuals/spares/accessories for the machines - it will make them much easier to sell
for example the inca bandsaw should have a fence - and may have other bits/blades - having those bits and pieces
will double the value as apart from blades spares are made of unobtanium

My dad was pretty good with instruction manuals, so these should turn up with a bit of searching in the workshop!

Accessories/bolt on's may prove difficult, as I'm not sure which bit goes with what, but I'm sure the wealth of knowledge on here will help me!

From memory, that Tyme is the first model that they marketed, before the Cub and the Avon. Don't think many sold, hence little knowledge about them. Don't think they had the swivel head of the later models, and it's probably got the rather strange Tyme nose thread (25mm 3.5 pitch?) but if it's as well made as the later models, it would certainly do someone a favour at around the £100 mark.
Could probably find an advert for it in my old Woodworkers if it's of any interest.

Thanks Dick

No, it doesn't have the swivel head

I have dozens of copies of Woodworker magazines as well, in fact boxes of them (all in proper binders!) If you have a quick route to it and can post it then it would be most appreciated!

I must say that this forum has been a wealth of knowledge thus far, thank you to everyone

OK, so please excuse the photo's, and the state of the workshop/garage!

First up is the Scheppach Prima HM0 Planer & Thicknesser, shown with 'accessories as best as I can work them out' but may include other items I have yet to find. I've plugged it in and it runs without issue.

It will need a through clean down with wire wool as there is some slight oxidisation, but nothing overly bad.

Next is the Elektra Beckum Dust/Chip Extractor

Again, this runs without issue, but will probably benefit from a new hose as this one has clearly seen better days

Next; Robland Startrite TZ30 Sawbench/Spindle Maker

Shown with various 'accessories' although no doubt there are more bits that go with it!

It runs smoothly and without issue

Again, it could do with cleaning up as it has slight oxidisation to the top, more through lack of use than anything

Latest posts

Back