Hello Kitty 77

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Established Member
Reaction score
Had you already seen the famous pussycat woodworking tools? ;-)

hk77a.jpg

hk77b.jpg

hk77c.jpg

hk77d.jpg

hk77e.jpg

hk77f.jpg

http://www.legnofilia.it/viewtopic.php? ... 242#p23242

Andrea":ecrg4ct4 said:
Had you already seen the famous pussycat woodworking tools? ;-)

hk77f.jpg

Hi Andrea,

welcome to the Forum!

Would you mind to tell a littl bit more about your file holder?

Pedder, who has removed the red japaning on his eclipse77 two weeks ago.

pedder":ba5r42t9 said:
Hi Andrea,
welcome to the Forum!

Thank you very much, Pedder.
And my sincere compliments for your blogs and saws.

Would you mind to tell a littl bit more about your file holder?

It is both a handle for needle files and also a guide to maintain the right slope, in this case 14 ° negative.
Needle files are not very long and when I sharpen crosscut saws (in this case 28° rake), if I use the usual block fixed at the tip, I find I have a too short stroke with the file, so I made this adjustable handle.

To adjust the handle/guide, I had to build another guide. :)
If you are interested I can take and post pictures of it.

Why?
I have repainted the working window of another Eclipse 77 I own and I also paint the top of the little hammer.

Alf":5klpwqas said:
Welcome, Andrea.

Thank you very much.

Alf":5klpwqas said:
I can only assume you had an Eclipse 77 dropped on your head as a child and are taking revenge...

Or I'm trying to "set" my daughter mind about saw filing. :)

thats fine, i was going to repost them for you, but was very busy at the time. welcome to a great forum.

thanks adidat

Andrea":3uyskeel said:
pedder":3uyskeel said:

Why?
I have repainted the working window of another Eclipse 77 I own and I also paint the top of the little hammer.

Hi Andrea,

thank you for the kudos. I agree on having a long handle is a good thing. But I wonder if your handle is comfortable after an hour of filing or two.

Most of the time I'm setting very small teeth like 18tpi. I have to be relaxed while doing this. Looking at red color all the time disturb being relaxed a lot. I concentrate on the red surfaces while I have to concentrate on this tiny teeth.

Ciao
Pedder

Andrea":zz6oca5j said:
It is both a handle for needle files and also a guide to maintain the right slope, in this case 14 ° negative.
Needle files are not very long and when I sharpen crosscut saws (in this case 28° rake), if I use the usual block fixed at the tip, I find I have a too short stroke with the file, so I made this adjustable handle.

To adjust the handle/guide, I had to build another guide. :)

Sounds like a cousin of Robert Wearing's notion, which I use.

http://www.oocities.com/plybench/saw_sharpen.html

BugBear

I wonder why you all believe to have to use jigs for sharpening a saw. Read carefully: I talk about sharpening not retoothing.

So if your adria or veritas or lie-nielsen saw gets dull after half a year of intensive use there are given regular angles in fleam and rake nontheless. Why not lay the file in the gullet and give one stroke per gullet. Often half a stroke ist enough. You just have to look closely what you are doing. Only things you need are good light and good eyes (or good glases as in my case.).

If you get used to that, you don't need jigs even when retoothing.

Cheers
Pedder
who sharpen his plane blades with an eclipse jig :)

pedder":1l5au2ej said:
I wonder why you all believe to have to use jigs for sharpening a saw. Read carefully: I talk about sharpening not retoothing.

I'm normally restoring car-boot victims, so I need help ;-)

Normal "touch up" sharpening, I agree, much easier.

BugBear

Hi Paul,

I think it is important to make the difference clear. Everytime someone asks for sharpening instructions he will be linked to Pete Taran or Friedrich Kollenrott. But it takes more time to read their prefaces than to learn resharpening.

I tought this within 5 Minutes and he got really good results.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":2752kbae said:
I agree on having a long handle is a good thing. But I wonder if your handle is comfortable after an hour of filing or two.

Ciao Pedder,

I'm not able to answer to your question because I've never filed for more than half an hour consecutively.
Anyway I think that, with needle files, an uncomfortable handle is better then no-handle.

pedder":1rz1e834 said:

So if your adria or veritas or lie-nielsen saw gets dull after half a year of intensive use there are given regular angles in fleam and rake nontheless. Why not lay the file in the gullet and give one stroke per gullet. Often half a stroke ist enough. You just have to look closely what you are doing. Only things you need are good light and good eyes (or good glases as in my case.).

If you get used to that, you don't need jigs even when retoothing.

I partially agree with you.

I'm able to resharpen a rip saw with well-defined and regular tooth, without jigs. But I've found I'm faster if I use a jig.
And I'm also able to retooth rip saws with 0° or -30° rake without jigs.

But I'm not able to resharpen or retooth x-cut saws without jigs.

Regards,
Andrea

Here are some photos of the guide I use to set my handle/guide.

I set the mobile fence with the protractor: 90° - the rake (in this case I used a negative 14° rake).
I lay the face of the file that will work on the face of the tooth, on the stripped plane.
Then I insert the handle/guide so that it lay on the fence and finaly I screw the screws.

nf3.jpg

nf4.jpg

nf5.jpg

Andrea":1btw7ogm said:
pedder":1btw7ogm said:
I agree on having a long handle is a good thing. But I wonder if your handle is comfortable after an hour of filing or two.

Ciao Pedder,

I'm not able to answer to your question because I've never filed for more than half an hour consecutively.
Anyway I think that, with needle files, an uncomfortable handle is better then no-handle.

Hi Andrea, I quite often file more than half of an hour. :)

One must use a handle on every file one uses. I have some turned handles

Freitagspost_05.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

Cheers Pedder

Andrea":1llttuc9 said:

Hi Andrea,

Sorry, I asked for this pictures and managed to overlook them. This is a very clever gauge to ste the saw file at the correct angle.

Cheers
Pedder

Latest posts

Back