Hello - Anyone used a Mitre Lock Cutter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effigy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just want to say Hello to everyone.

I am a deluded woodworker looking for a bit of advice. I say deluded because although I think I can do a bit of 'proper' woodworking, in reality I am rubbish at it :cry:

Nevertheless, I fail to let this tiny fact deter me from making lots of sawdust, shavings and 'decorative firewood' as my missus calls it :lol:

I have a lathe and enjoy woodturning, but we now have so many bowls and platters that we no longer have anywhere to put them, so my latest Crimes-against-wood involves the noble art of Boxing (Cue very bad Frank Bruno/Muhammed Ali impersonations). I have managed to knock-up a few boxes - one even had a lid that opened and closed properly :shock:

In an effort to take this art-form to higher levels, and after having read the review and set-up here, I am determined to risk life, limb and wallet on a mitre lock cutter, in some sad and vain attempt to make semi-respectable boxes.

Has anyone here first-hand experience of using one of these cutters? How did you get on? Have you still got all your fingers? And do you think it is worth the money? I was at Yandles the weekend and asked the Trend man if he had one. Luckily, he said no, as he then told me they were around £70 :shock: Axminster do one for £25.

I have a shed full of tools, jigs and contraptions that I have bought over the years in the folorn hope that this would turn me into a decent woodworker - I dont want to add anything else to the pile, if I can help it.

Anyway, I love the site, pictures of completed projects and reading all your infinite wisdom and advice :D

Effigy":1cqxdpbo said:
I am a deluded woodworker .....
In that case welcome, you'll find many kindred spirits here, me included :wink:

Effigy":1cqxdpbo said:
I am determined to risk life, limb and wallet on a mitre lock cutter, in some sad and vain attempt to make semi-respectable boxes.

Has anyone here first-hand experience of using one of these cutters? How did you get on? Have you still got all your fingers? And do you think it is worth the money?
Actually before risking your wallet there is a simpler version of the joint which can be made with a couple of straight router cutters and your router inverted in a table, or screwed beneath a piece of plywood with a batten as a fence..... [cue drum roll]:

LockCornerJoint.jpg

Might cost a bit less than £25 as well, and maybe you won't need to add to the pile. But if you do then mitre lock joint cutters do work - it's just that I find them very fiddly to set-up as the work has to run through relatively unsupported/guided on a very thin edge. With one side of the joint needing to be taken with the material held vertical you'll find yourself back to building jigs again.

If you really want the true mitred look have you not considered the splined mitre joint?:

splinedmitre.jpg

Just a thought

Scrit

I have a mitre lock cutter and it does what it says on the tin. I have only used it for drawer making where the extra strength is needed and as Scrit says holding the wood vertically and moving it smoothly past the cutter is not easy. I wouldn't bother for boxes and use either a splined joint as shown by Scrit or a mitre reinforced like these:-
large.jpg

I made a jig to cut the slots on the table saw but it does require the removal of the crown guard although I think it is safe enough as the blade stays guarded by the jig.

John

Latest posts

Back